Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have been watching this forum for awhile and really like all of the pictures and information. I figured it was time I joined the fun.
My name is Ben and I own a VAC that my Father and I are working at fixing up.
Ill post a few pictures now and hopefully more in the future.

Thank you.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Are you doing a complete rebuild as part of the restoration, or was there something wrong with the engine?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Looks like your well on your way. The metal looked pretty straight from the picture on the introduction board. Looking forward to seeing things as you go along. Remember we like pics.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ben, welcome aboard! Looks like a nice late model VAC project there. Need any parts or advice just ask! I have 7 complete VA series and several for parts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies!
The engine smoked pretty badly so we decided to investigate and fix it.
It won't be a full restoration for right now, we are just making sure the internals are good as well as installing the wide front end.
However I do plan on getting it nice and pretty in the near future.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Welcome to the board!!!
Looks like you have a nice VAC to work with.
Looking forward to more pictures!!
Thanks for posting.
Nick

·
Registered
294 Posts
Let us know how it goes installing the wide front. I've got one off of a VAI I want to put on my '49. Did you get the steering gear to go with the wide front?

As has been stated before, pictures!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought 25 new Blacksmith Plow Shares a little while ago. Some are for Allis-Chalmers and at least one is for John Deere but the others are made by Star MFG. and Solid MFG.
Does anyone here have the dimensions for the mounting holes on a Case plow so I can find out which ones to use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Welcome to the board :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ben F. said:
I bought 25 new Blacksmith Plow Shares a little while ago. Some are for Allis-Chalmers and at least one is for John Deere but the others are made by Star MFG. and Solid MFG.
Does anyone here have the dimensions for the mounting holes on a Case plow so I can find out which ones to use?

Thanks!
CASE plow shares will have 2 holes on them and a round peg. The back will be marked S**D with the ** being the size.

·
Registered
341 Posts
CTPhil said:
Let us know how it goes installing the wide front. I've got one off of a VAI I want to put on my '49. Did you get the steering gear to go with the wide front?

As has been stated before, pictures!
Phil, his wide front swap is a different animal from yours. His can be done by switching the lower portion of the front bolster and the steering worm/sector set in the gear box under the radiator. Yours is just a matter of switching the entire front end assembly as it bolts to the engine. You can use the same steering gear but you will need to shorten the drag link. Just did one for a friend's 1948 VAC. Also, I hope you have the VAI grill as that's also different.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1031D These are aftermarket made. Will that change the stamping on the backs?
Thank you for the help I will go dig through them and post pictures for you to identify.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here are the plow shares.
I only took close ups of Two that I drug out. Are either of them Case Plow compatible?
Do any look like it from the general pictures I took?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nothing I see are CASE compatible so far. Yes, most of the aftermarket CASE shares are stamped S**D or S**. I have a few Starline shares and they have S14, S=solid 14=width of cut. If I go over to the farm I'll try and get a picture or two.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay I did some real digging and see that I have 7 new Allice-Chalmers shares of varying sizes as well as 2 John Deere. The rest are either "MW" "Star Mfg." or "Solid" and I have posted a picture of them. (The 2 Deere are in the background)
Does anybody know what brand plow these other ones fit?

Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay so I did some research and I think I have at least 5 Case Plowshares (2 have been re-pointed)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts