Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cases, Fords, now an International 560. I blew the engine on my Ford 4100 that I round bale with this winter, but the repair project bogged down and suddenly it's haying season. So I started working Craigslist and this morning I bought an IH 560 pretty close to home. I hope I did the right thing. :?

The loader isn't included, I didn't want it. I can run my baler from the loader remotes.

So did I do OK or did I jump from the frying pan into the fire?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Phil I'm sorry to hear about the Ford but I'm glad you found the 560. That thing ought to have plenty of power for what your going to do with it. What kind of roller you going to be pulling? The tractor looks good, metal looks straight. I"m gonna guess you'll be tickled with it. That tractor will do a lot of work and not be in a strain but might get a little thirsty when you make it hump but thats ok to as long as it gets the job done. Just don,t forget the old VAC they need to get out and stretch their legs every now and then to. Be sure and post a few more pics when you get a chance, we love to see them.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Gordon. I've got a Case/IH 8430 4x4 round baler. Yeah, I'm expecting it to be a little thirsty running at PTO speed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
That old 560 shouldn't be a bad tractor for you. Does torque amplifier work? 560 was a strong machine but a few of them were known to have transmission problems. At 60hp with 3 sets of remotes they're handy tractors.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if the TA works. I haven't got it yet, they're going to take the loader off then drive it over. It's about 6 miles away. I asked the farmer, he said he didn't know, he never used it, lol. The transmission seems fine, just a little sloppy at the shifter boot. Anyone know anything about those aftermarket fixes you can get on eBay?

I'm thrilled about the remotes, I need two sets for the baler, they can plug in the loader remotes. Worst case I'll need to extend the lines. The farmer never used the rear remotes, but I assume they'll work.

The one problem is that it has a bad power steering pump. It's not horrible without it, I may put off fixing that. Also there is no fast hitch, they had taken it off and put a drawbar on. I don't think I'd use a hitch on this tractor anyways.

Normally I'd be hesitant about a tractor this old, but the farmer was as honest as they come, told me everything about the history and how it works now. They were using it every day for odds and ends around the barnyard. It was the right size, I like older tractors, and the repair history was solid, but the owner's integrity is what sold me. I think the price was OK, I didn't really check it out, but $3,000 without the loader just seemed fair, I didn't try to dicker.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Over here the price is a little high but in your neck of the woods where they are harder to find it's fair. If you had fast hitch you would loose a set of remotes to that anyways. I would extend the hoses to the back and install break away couplers. If it still has the old IH/Aeroquip screw together couplers they can be next to impossible to find good ends for anyways. Looks like the loader would have made for a real useful tractor. Those 2000 loaders were made for years are were a very good loader but if you didn't have a use for it at least you saved the money. If you ran it and it drove and shifted good the TA might be okay. They will free wheel when going down a hill with the torque engaged also. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. It did occur to me that the price was up there, but around here stuff is in high demand. The seller thought he'd priced it fair, I didn't want to insult him over a few dollars. The ad went on Craigslist at 6:22 AM, I called at 6:52 and already there had been several inquiries. I didn't even wait until after chores, just got in the truck and went. I'd been on several wild goose chases and was getting desperate for anything to run a round baler to be honest. But now that it's a done deal I'm getting excited about owning the tractor for what it is. I've already got a couple of loaders, I'd rather not do field work with a loader on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
CTPhil said:
Cases, Fords, now an International 560. I blew the engine on my Ford 4100 that I round bale with this winter, but the repair project bogged down and suddenly it's haying season. So I started working Craigslist and this morning I bought an IH 560 pretty close to home. I hope I did the right thing. :?

The loader isn't included, I didn't want it. I can run my baler from the loader remotes.

So did I do OK or did I jump from the frying pan into the fire?
the 560s are real work horses.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got the tractor yesterday. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,582 Posts
Plenty of tractor for a 4x4 baler I'd say :!:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Looks like a tough old gal! Nice to have a factory wide front and bigger tires to boot!

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Phil I like that tractor. Hope you'll give us a report when you put it to work and don't forge the pics. I got a feeling your going to like it.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I pressure washed it today. 5 decades of dirt and grease. Cleaned up real good. :) Now I can see the grease fittings, ha ha.

·
Super Moderator
8,582 Posts
CTPhil said:
I pressure washed it today. 5 decades of dirt and grease. Cleaned up real good. :) Now I can see the grease fittings, ha ha.
Was Jimmy Hoffa in it :?: :?: :?: :idea: :eek:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts