Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guy’s just bought a JD430 and wondering if anybody could tell me about operation. It starts and runs good for start, but don’t know about the PTO. It turns most of the time and there is a red lever that seems to change the speed.
The three point hitch seems to power up and down, is that normal?
There ‘s no tach so only guessing on engine speed, should I get a tach for this tractor?
What oil’s should I use in the engine and gear box?
How big of a brush hog will it run? I have a 72” Wood BB
Will it drive a 54” snow blower?
Well that’s about enough to get me going, thank you in advance for your time.
Ps. Yesterday I had a great ride around my hay fields on this old classic.

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
Generally the size of your implements are horsepower rated. A 6 foot BB mower should have at least 47 horsepower. It can be run with less, yet it wont have the torque for the work expected. It would also help to know if you have the 720 or the 7200.

A four foot blower is tiny! Are you sure you didnt mean a 64" blower? Remember, your measuring the width of the implement not the height.

Using tractordata. The 430 is only 29 hp. It is extremely under powered for the 6 foot mower. On average I like to size implements by the width of the tractor tires. Measure the outside size and go from there.
http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/4/49-john-deere-430.html

A 10w-30 motor oil is fine for the engine oil. As far as the rear end goes, motor oil is fine back there as well. The older JD's ran motor oil in the hydraulics as well. Tho you can use a generic hydraulic trans oil in the back end if you want.

PTO will have a lever. That lever is to turn on or turn off the horsepower to the implement. 540 PTO RPM will be about 3/4 to full throttle.

Tach? Its your tractor. We cant tell you if you should have a tach or not.
https://www.steinertractor.com/JDS1499-Tachometer-Fits-John-Deere-1010-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. The PTO is only a 540 then and not faster in one position. Thanks, Tom

·
Super Moderator
7,859 Posts
If you like the tractor and have lots of work for it I suggest getting an operator's manual. It will answer your oil and many other questions. I am certain your tranny and hydraulic oil should be non-detergent oils.

My 1955 JD 40S uses 10wt. non-detergent motor oil in its hydraulics.

Two plus years ago I bought a JD 4x4 round baler. I had always made square bales, but aging and weakening shoulders forced me to change. I bought an operator's manual for it from Deere as it was gonna be a new experience for me. I think the manual has been one of the best farm-related items I have ever bought.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes on the manual, I had just picked up the tractor the day I posted. The snow blower was a left over from a little Kubota 21 hp I had several years ago. I had really hoped I could use this for brush hogging on my place because I don’t want to scratch up my good tractor doing it. Also the snow blowing with this two wheel drive might not work anyway. I think it will end up a big lawn mower. Thanks for the in put guy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts