Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this C this weekend and a B parts tractor I don't have the B home yet but here is the C

The distributor adapter looks odd, I'll look at my B and see what the difference is.
it had 4 good tires, but I need one to get the B loaded on the trailer.
this tractor ran about 3 years ago, but has since locked up.

·
Super Moderator
1,633 Posts
A good project. My Dad had a C & I always wondered what went in the holes under the steering box, now I can see it's a support bracket, ours never had one. Maybe because the tractor had been broken in half just before we bought it. :roll:

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's one of the differences between the B and the C the B does not have that.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Looks like a good project. Metal looks straight which is a really good thing. Most the time when you find one around here its either all gone or looks like a tree fell on it.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
Will make a nice project. :D I see you got some cultivator parts with it. ;)
I like the coat hanger pto lever too. :cool:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with the others that your C looks to be a good one to start on. If its only sat 3 years might be an easy one to get freed up.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, I think those are plow parts, I also think the wire you see below the pto goes to the rear light. It has been rewired with cloth insulated wire that has frayed in the weather and looks terrible.
I picked up the B and it has lots of good parts, many I need. pics to follow.
that green one you see in the background of the first pic is next after I get the little ford done.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
My mistake, was looking too quickly. Coat hanger starter rod. ;)

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea, i've got a good starter rod on the B if it is the same, the more I look at that B the more good parts I see. I'll try to get pics of it up tomorrow
picked it up on the way to work yesterday and had a flat, I was afraid to tr coming home (58 Mi.) without a spare, left it with a coworker who lives near work. got another tire mounted up for a spare, hope to get it the rest of the way home tonight.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is the B

Hard to tell from that picture but the sheet metal is pristine.

I have never seen a blanking cover where the pto goes on an Ag model B

The reason I bought it was the cultivator parts, I was going down the road and throttled back to turn into a driveway when a rear rim let go. Did not do the cultivators any favors.
I will see if I can get the motor freed up on this one.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
That's a nice straight looking little B, too. Just a bit rusty.
You got a couple of good restoration candadates. ;)

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ever notice how the sound of a firework launching sounds just like a blowout? I went through the (very) late sweet corn with the cultivators on my old B Thursday evening and my heart skipped a beat a couple of times. got both cultivators off, hope to start making a good one soon. does anyone have a picture of the rear support for the plant guards? I will have to make one.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Great tractors! We had a B. I keep telling Cheryl I am going to get here a CA (her initials)
The more I look at theses I am really wondering if I should leave my WD/s in a as condition rather than all spruced up? I mean fix things that need fixed. But I kind like the look of the work clothes too.
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to tractor data the B is a 1949 and the C is a 1945

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Yes! back when they made things to last 60-70 years and still work too.
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got both in the shop last weekend and stripped the heads off this weekend. they don't look that bad in the cylinders however when I pulled the drain plug out of the C about 3.5 gallons of clear water came out and not enough oil to even make a slick on top. the radiator had coolant in it. not sure how the water got in. I will probably go ahead and pull them both soon. I'll let them soak in Kroil a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Bruce,
That's a lot of water in the crank case. Hope you have better luck than I have had on the WD saga. Some shop pictures would be good too (hint). I think a CA would be nice. I keep driving by one and the guy just doesn't want to sell it but it hasn't moved in years.
Regards,
Chris

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

This is the C Both of them are the center 2 cylinders the way the Exhaust is made I guess.

Shot of the tractor, jacked up to turn the wheel every time I walk by.

The B just soaking it right now.

Another shot of the B
Sugarmaker I read everything posted and follow your projects, I just seldom have time to comment on everybodys projects. I do follow them and find them interesting and educational.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
It's a shame someone didn't put a better cover over the exhaust pipe. A flapper ain't much good when it's rainning, and a good wind is blowing from the right direction.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts