Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. I needed a backhoe for the farm and ended up picking up a '62 4030. I rationalized it by telling myself what a pain in the neck it would be to swap out the backhoe on my newer John Deere every time I needed to use another implement.

I guess I need to post a few more times before I can put up a pic, but thanks in advance for the help for which I'll be asking!

Attachments

·
Registered
757 Posts
Just use the icon third from the right. Browse to the file, select it or double click on it and post it. Otherwise respond to the posts here and it will get your post count up.

·
Pat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let's see if this pic posts. In the photo are the four (work)horsemen of the Flying T. From l to r:

"Samson" - 2006 F250
"Giovanni" - 2006 JD 4320
"Pauli" - 1962 Ford 4030
"Ferdinand" - ?? Toro 500 with our manure spreader

I just ordered a set of chains for the Ford 4030 so that I can still dig when snow finally arrives. Finishing up two frostfree hydrants. I also picked up 4x LED worklights and wiring for it. They definitely won't look authentic, but the sun is usually down by the time I get home right now.

Four Workhorses.jpg

·
Pat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I installed the LED headlights today. U-bolts around the front loader frame for mounts. I've got a second set I'll mount on the back.

Not historically correct, but affordable, bright, and practical.

20171122_140738.jpg
20171122_134601.jpg
20171122_134548.jpg

·
Registered
530 Posts
Your tractor is a 4000 series light industrial. I would strongly suggest you get the proper manual for your select-o-speed trans before doing any band adjustments or work on the SOS trans. It appears to be the earlier ORC SOS (kind of hard to tell from photo) and not the later DDC trans. It would have slash marks on the shifter on the gears to indicate freewheeling gear. You don't want to use these gears going down hill.
Good luck with your new tractor.

Kirk

·
Pat
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Kirk. The tractor came with the original owners' manual along with a shop manual with the SOS addendum, the owner's/maintenancee manuals for the loader and backhoe, and lots of other notes and records! Yes - it's the ORC. I can bet that the free-wheeling gears could get you down a hill in a hurry, and as I need to tighten up the left brake, that could be awful exciting!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Thanks, Kirk. The tractor came with the original owners' manual along with a shop manual with the SOS addendum, the owner's/maintenancee manuals for the loader and backhoe, and lots of other notes and records! Yes - it's the ORC. I can bet that the free-wheeling gears could get you down a hill in a hurry, and as I need to tighten up the left brake, that could be awful exciting!
Yea downhill in freewheeling gears can get a bit hairy especially with a loaded wagon behind you and can leave shaking the turds out of your pants.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Welcome to the forum Flying T

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
Welcome FlyingT! Glad you joined us!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum. I just got a tractor and I'm trying to identify it to buy some parts. I've done a lot of research in the past 2 weeks, and still not able to fully identify it. The previous owner never knew what tractor it was. He used it for many years and then parked it for 15 years, and then I got it. I don't have pictures of the whole tractor, will post some later, but I have some of the numbers I found so far. The model number is 40307 and serial is 167328. On the right side of the engine is CONN 6015J and on the left side 203 followed by 2 1.5 inch apart. Anyone able to identify the tractor? It got a front loader and bachhoe. Thank you

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
CONN 6015J is the correct block casting code for a 172 cu in 4 cyl tractor engine (either gas or diesel) for 1960-1964.
The 4030 is an industrial version of the 4000. The 7, I'm guessing would denote transmission type and /or pto, or hitch.
Several tractors used suffix numbers or letters for differences in a model series.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Model number 40307
4 = 172 ci engine
0 = Industrial model produced prier to 1963
30 = Utility-type tractor w/non-adjustable front axle (light industrial)
7 = type of transmission and pto, but my list doesn't show a 7 for your (light industrial) model.
Tell us what trans you have and I'll add it to my list

Serial number 167328 is for a industrial tractor built in 1962
You have a 4000 light industrial with possibly a SOS trans built in 1962

1 - 15 of 15 Posts