Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from the Pacific NW. Smokey today from fires (mostly) on the east side of the Cascades.
I've got a Ferguson TE 20 and have a hydraulic-PTO question I'm hoping for help with. My tractor was lovingly taken care of by an elderly gent and original settler of the island I live on. Happy to have it BUT.... the PTO is linked to the lift arms and that doesn't strike me as normal. Is it with the TE 20's? I'm almost certain the International Harvester Super A1 I grew up with had the lift arms in a separate hydraulic system (loop?)
Anyway, the problem is I can't lift the implements without the PTO running and that's a problem.
Any insights appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
Hello and welcome. Glad you joined us.
That's how your tractor works. The lift pump and pto are both activated by the same lever.
Also if it doesn't have an overrun coupler on the pto an implement will push the tractor through momentum when the clutch is disengaged.
It is directly gear connected to the transmission via the lever. Ford tractors of the same vintage worked identically.
Many a farmer have found themselves through a fence or wall, into a tree, a creek or over a ditch bank due to it.

·
Super Moderator
8,031 Posts
Welcome to ATF! Dave gave the proper advice. Don't dare bush hog without a pto overrunning clutch.

·
Super Moderator
1,547 Posts
Hi, welcome to ATF

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello and welcome. Glad you joined us.
That's how your tractor works. The lift pump and pto are both activated by the same lever.
Also if it doesn't have an overrun coupler on the pto an implement will push the tractor through momentum when the clutch is disengaged.
It is directly gear connected to the transmission via the lever. Ford tractors of the same vintage worked identically.
Many a farmer have found themselves through a fence or wall, into a tree, a creek or over a ditch bank due to it.
Thank you Big Dave in KY for your response and likewise others who welcomed me to this forum and offered advice about the overrun coupler.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts