Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let my Dad use my "new" truck yesterday to go pickup his "new" tractor. I believe it's a '70 3000 gas. Dad bought it from his cousin, whose father bought it new. It's only got 1800 or so hours on a working meter. Its been sitting outdoors for a few years and was left with fuel in it, so it's a gunked up mess right now.

Dad bought a '73 4000 diesel summer before last. He has it torn apart right now, completely rebuilding it front to back top to bottom. Dad and I also have my late grandfathers 640 Ford...but Dad convinced Mom a couple years ago that he needed a bigger tractor, so he bought the diesel. Now he's convinced Mom that he needs another tractor to use while he finishes the 4000, told her that I need to go ahead and restore and show the 640. And of course all these go with the L235 Kubota he got from his brother...and his '63 Caterpillar 933 Traxcavator.

And everybody wonders where I get it????? :lol:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Congratulations.
Great lookig truck and tractor. You'll have the tractor running in no time.

G

·
0 Posts
Peacher79 said:
Congratulations.
Great lookig truck and tractor. You'll have the tractor running in no time.
Ditto what Bob said. I had an old allis that sat longer than a couple years with gas in it and cleaned the points and fired right up. Maybe just lucky.
Good luck with the new NEEDED tractor.

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Don't look bad. Looks like it sat under a tree with all the algae growing on it.
Use some 50/50 bleach water and soft bristle brush, and that will all clean off. ;)

G

·
0 Posts
That is a good looking tractor and truck. A little paint and that 3000 will look like new.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
You got one fine truck there and your dad got a good looking tractor and if he swaps the wheels around and spins them out you talk about a hillside tractor it would be ready to mow in my country. Glad he got it and hope you both enjoy.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Looks like a great tractor!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dad's pretty tickled with it. That hideous lookin' bumper and lights were the first thing to go. Dad's cousin parked it outside under a tree, sat there for several years. He told Dad he thought tractors were meant to set outside. 'Course this is also the same guy that painted over all the decals on the tractor too...

The truck didn't even know it was back there and the big V10 managed a fuzz over 9mpg pulling it down to the farm through the West Virginia hills...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Just cleaned a carb that has sat for 15 yrs with fuel in it. Bit of scraping and a can of aerosol carb cleaner and its fine. That's a nice looking Ford and your dad should be teaching a course on spouse management.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I like that 3000! My uncle had one, they had to sell when he passed. I could see myself on one of those. Many hours (days) on a big brother (5000) when helping Dad on the farm. Nice looking big Ford pulling it too:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thought post a few updated pics of Dad's 3000 after a couple months of tinkerin' have gone by. Still needing a couple little odds and ends, new cap on the intake is ordered and should be in this week. The tractor has a tad over 1900 original hours on it. It's real tight and runs great. It's got me thinkin' since Dad has the 3000 gas now, and a 4000 Diesel in progress...I'm gettin' the urge for a 5000 ;)

We need to put a rear "plow light" or implement light on it, but looking at the parts book, can't tell where it should be mounted. The yellow caution light is missing from the top left fender, but we're gonna take the one off the 4000 and put on this tractor. We'll have to get a new set of lights for the 4000 anyway. If anyone can tell me or show me some pics of the "proper" rear work light location I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
dang.. that 350 is the spitting image of mine.

when the pic loaded I was wondering how that ih plate got on my truck.. :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
soundguy said:
dang.. that 350 is the spitting image of mine.

when the pic loaded I was wondering how that ih plate got on my truck.. :)
And that 350 spent it's winters in Florida...

I just bought a couple months ago, 72K miles on it, V10 4WD Lariat. I love it!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
mines got 180K on it.. 7.3psd (v8), 4wd lariat as well.

I like a 1 ton truck.. even a 3/4 ton is so much of an upgrade.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts