Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a friend who is always on me why dont i trade 2 or 3 of my old masseys on a new tractor called today went to put 120 hp jd 4 years old in main shop to service it tryed starting turned slow so put booster on it got it running but wouldnt move called dealer they said if power level went below 9 volts they would have to reprogram computer he told them to bring new battery and program it 4 hours and 680 dollars later it drove out of shed i asked him to explain again to me why i want a new tractor my masseys have 4000 or less hours and allis 6500 maybe if i was a megga farmer but we plant varoius plots of veg with different planters weekly and would spend half my time hooking unhooking and setting up planters instead we just jump on and go :? ;) :)

·
Registered
315 Posts
In 60 years I wonder how many of these new ones will be still running? I have used a 6405 Deere to cut and rake hay but its easier and can turn quicker with a 3020 or my 2510.......

·
Administrator
4,283 Posts
New and improved....... ain't always. :roll: I'll stick with my old gas burners.
I don't want a computer running my tractors, and it's less expensive than diesel nowadays. ;)

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i hear ya.. my 'new' tractor is a 2002 NH 7610s one of it's hyd valve packs on the rear went bad back in 04 or 05 maybee.. 700$. I've bought entire tractors for 700$ before.. :) and this was a part that would fit in a shoebox.. :)

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Working on old tractors is a whole lot easier than newer ones for sure. Fuel, spark, and air, it's running. :D Not this mulivolt, resistance grounding stuff. That's progress though I guess :roll:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
our ford on snowmobile groomer is electric shift we were crossing busy main rail line hit button to down shift malfunctioned and quite driving it has 38 in rear tires with rubber tracks lucky it was on a down gradeand got shoulder up agatn rear wheel and rolled it off line let it sit a few minutes started up drove away took back to dealer put code reader on no code said bring it back when it does it again but never did

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
the new ones are throw away tractors, after 5-10 years there used up. them again back in the day folks around here didn't run 1000+ acres either. dad got a new case ih 260 4wd last spring. granted its a nice quiet dust free ride and you can cover 100+ acres a day with It, the down fall is the 12 gal of fuel an hour it burns and its new enuff it runs that def fluid to. oh wiat did I mention that if it wasn't coverd by warrenty that to replace the oil pan gasket would've cost $5000 :shock: :shock: just because the engine has to be pulled to do it

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i agree.. they are making things with less metal.. less durable parts.. and assemblies like clusters and electronic modules that probablty won't be available 10ys after the tractor came out. :(

I can still get parts for my 70 year old tractors....

G

·
I get laughed at because I use the old Masseys. People around here don't say much to me but they do laugh. When these fancy new machines break down, what is there to pick up the slack without hesitation. The old iron of course. And then there is the point that if the computer crashes on a piece of old iron, you are done farming anyway.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
at least we can fix the old ones when they break down.. usually with a fingernail file.. or cutting a gasket out of a cerial box with a ballpeen hammer!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would never buy a new tractor. All of that electronic crap is just more excuses for them not to work. My main work horses are 2 1978 Ford 3 cylinder diesels, they do everything I need, nothing has been invented since then that I view as an improvement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts