Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had steel wheels made for the WC so I could pull with it at a lower weight class....still didnt make it and then decided not to strip the tractor down anyways :roll: Here are so pics on my "new" to me 14.9x28's

After paint

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think them tires will work to your advantage!!! Going from 24 to 28 is a good thing. What class you getting in? we have 3000 4000 and 6000 for antique

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bertman said:
I think them tires will work to your advantage!!! Going from 24 to 28 is a good thing. What class you getting in? we have 3000 4000 and 6000 for antique
Its 3160 witha half tank of gas....I could strip the battery and box, the starter, the PTO shaft and run her with a couple gallons of gas but if I still dont make 3000 it will be wasted work and time so I opted to run it light at 3750 just to have fun

I guess I could get a belt to take out the generator and a block off plate for the PTO.....nah

·
Registered
658 Posts
HELIUM! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Should shave a few pounds and make you talk funny LOL
Im just getting into the pulling scene so Im learning as I go ;)

Whats the rpm set at? We can go 10% over factory spec so you should be able to goto a wd45 or d15?? governor spring to get a few more rpms
Find some suitcase weights and build some brackets just in front of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bertman said:
HELIUM! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Should shave a few pounds and make you talk funny LOL
Im just getting into the pulling scene so Im learning as I go ;)

Whats the rpm set at? We can go 10% over factory spec so you should be able to goto a wd45 or d15?? governor spring to get a few more rpms
Find some suitcase weights and build some brackets just in front of the rear wheels.
I wish I had the time and the ambition :| its got the big gov spring and a few other goodies ;)

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
Derrick, If you're gonna run her in the 3750#, add about 500# of weight. You'll still be good for that class, and be happier with your pull. ;)
Allis W series 28" wheel weights were 135# apiece. Four would give you 542#, with hardware. ;)
I see them on Craigslist and E-bay quite a bit, around $100-$150 a pair.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BigDaveinKY said:
Derrick, If you're gonna run her in the 3750#, add about 500# of weight. You'll still be good for that class, and be happier with your pull. ;)
Allis W series 28" wheel weights were 135# apiece. Four would give you 542#, with hardware. ;)
I see them on Craigslist and E-bay quite a bit, around $100-$150 a pair.
I wanted the 3000lb but I dont want to strip the old tractor down....I dont have 500lbs of suitcases or the hangers at this point. I have some old ugly weights that I can put on and may if I get some energy on friday :lol: The pull is saturday

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
acfan55 said:
looks great
Thanks, I love how they look compared to the old square looking radials that were on it

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dropped approximately 100lbs by switching the cast centers out but still couldnt get to 3000lbs :( I was told it pulled less because I switched from radials to the bias plys...oh well maybe next year. Oh, I only went 211 foot at 3555lbs in the 3750lb class...top puller was 289 foot

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bertman said:
Whats the tire pressure? We run 9 to 11 psi depending on track conditions
Track was harder than I expected and I had 11 in......some other pullers were in the 9lb range but had more horsepower than me to turn them

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Derick,
Sound like you havd a good time getting the WC up and ready for the pull.
Somedays I think I might like to do that for fun, Have been in a couple small pulls. But I have a idea that you have to spend some bucks and do some work to be competitive. I really dont know much about this are of the tractor hobby. Sounded like you had done some engine work to make sure you had the horses available.
Might like to talk more with you about what it takes to be competivive. Yea the 3000 lb class would be where I would like to be too The WD was to heavy for that last year by several hundereed lbs.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didnt make a go at it this year and heard it from my girls! I will start stripping the tractor for 3000lbs next year, the WC with me on it at 220lbs came in around 3260 so I have some work to do. I saw a very impressive 8n Ford pull at 3000lbs this year and made a 305 foot pull...i never got a chance to talk with him because we had a rainout mess. If I dont have an answer for you iwill talk with my frioend Harold who has been pulling for 50 years. :D

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Derrick,
Could you get one of the girls to drive:) You and I are about the same weight. I pulled the Jubilee foru times last year in the 3000 lb class and placed twice. The John Deers and Olivers blew past me!
It sounds like you have the engine ready for pulling so getting into that weight class should make it a competitive tractor. That sounds about like what I had in mind. Not sure I could get one of the WD's and me down to 3000. Will be interested in how you do it. I am sure there are several items that you do not need and will help on the weight. So you need 260 or 270 lb less. You probably have a list of items to remove. Hydraulic cylinders, all hydraulic lines. maybe hydraulic pump, the flat belt pulley and inner shaft are really heavy probably 25-30 lbs., I am sure a lot of parts could be remade from aluminum if you have the time and desire like foot rests?. Maybe seat bracket, seat shock could be replace with aluminum tube, headlights removed (if you havent already), you mentioned PTO and shaft, that would be 15 lbs ish. Not sure what you are allowed to do in a "stock" class?
just a few thoughts.
You could email me at [email protected] and we could discuss your WC.
Thanks,
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
my plan is to take the battery and box, the starter, the pto shaft and pump, the generator and air cleaner....my tractor has a homemade brake system that needs to go and fenders if I need too. I will then experiment with how much gas I need...last time I weighed it it had a half tank...7 gallons maybe so if I can pull with 2-3 I can save some. Then I will start on the small stuff every where and maybe replacing parts with lighter stuff.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Derrick,
Sounds like you have a good plan to get into the 3000 lb class. Raining here, not sure I want the hassle of hauling the little Ford to the pulls today. Still on the fence:)
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm gonna go next weekend maybe to weigh in as she sits and do a part by part weight drop and see how much I can lose before I really start stripping the tractor. Did u go pulling with the Ford?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Derick,
I did take the Ford. I forgot it was a combined distance for two days:( I decided to only pull Saturday and forfeited Sundays pull. The Ford went home with me Sat evening.With having another bunch of stuff at the show it was just too many trips.
The little Ford and I weighed in at 2900 lbs. I think I could fill the tank and be right at 3000, or a few weights on the back? Anyway out of four tractors I was in second place with 103 feet pulling the transfer sled.. The tractor hooked up real nice and ran out of power and traction at about the same time. I couldn't have asked for much more, it did what I ask. I had let some air out but forgot my pressure gauge, so I am not sure where I was at with tire pressure.
Have you been pulling lately? How did the WC weigh in?
I saw a WC at the show set up for pulling and thought or you and your tractor. It seems WC's are very popular for pulls, Is there a reason?
(FYI some pictures coming soon)
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
316 Posts
Derrick, start with the PTO, then the fenders off & check weight.
Have you considered cutting large holes in the rear rims to reduce weight but not weaken wheels?
I'll send you photos of what I'm referring to in a personal e-mail a little later.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts