Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure wish we could punch a shallow hole and get water like yall Ron. The well at mom's , now daughter's home, is failing because of repeated dry summers. I talked to the driller last night and I guess we are gonna bite the bullet and drill one over there. It will eliminate a problem that we will continue to have. I shoulda done this a few years ago when problems began. Mom was not living there though, and there was a question as to where to locate it because of the way the deed was written and land tracts were located. I also wasn't sure that the property would remain in the family. We drilled one here I think 4 years ago, and the cost was around $4k. I figure at least 5 to 6 K now. Given the gubbermint's monetary policy, our money is worth much less than 4 years ago. :roll: :( Might as well spend on something that will produce some benefit while we can.

G

·
0 Posts
Wish you all the best Jim. Yea too bad is wasn't as easy to get as it is here. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stephenscity said:
How deep is the well you're setting over? Is it cased? Was just wondering.
The present well, dug in the 1950s, is about 60' deep. It has the cement tile liner and is 20" or 24" in diameter. Several years ago when I was raising baccer there, I could fill my sprayer, empty it, go down to the old house well, fill it again, empty it, and come back to this one for another load. The water table has dropped some and it does not recover quickly. A new one will be a 6 inch well amd probably 200 to 250' deep. That seems to be the average in these parts. The new one I had drilled years ago is 180' deep with the pump set at 120'.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Jim in NC said:
Stephenscity said:
How deep is the well you're setting over? Is it cased? Was just wondering.
The present well, dug in the 1950s, is about 60' deep. It has the cement tile liner and is 20" or 24" in diameter. Several years ago when I was raising baccer there, I could fill my sprayer, empty it, go down to the old house well, fill it again, empty it, and come back to this one for another load. The water table has dropped some and it does not recover quickly. A new one will be a 6 inch well amd probably 200 to 250' deep. That seems to be the average in these parts. The new one I had drilled years ago is 180' deep with the pump set at 120'.
Thanks. Like I said was just curious. But should have known things in your area seem to run pretty close to here but then again you are in the same Mtn range. Hope this goes smooth for you. I had some problems years ago old well kept falling in and we had to reset but stuff today is more precise.
I don't think I've ever seen one with that large of diamater. The one I sat over was only about 6" and was drilled in the 30's.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Ive got one 30ft deep Ill sell ya! Just come and dig it up and take home!! it went dry about 20 years ago, but your more than welcome to it! (Couldnt resist) Ours was the same way, endless supply of water, then one day it just up and went dry, I mean completely dry. I dropped my camcorder down in there on a rope about 10 years ago, and its still dry, not even a trace of water. Cheaper for us at the time to just go on city water. My late stepmother drilled one about 8 years ago, cost her 7000 and change to go 450 ft.

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
John M said:
Ive got one 30ft deep Ill sell ya! Just come and dig it up and take home!! it went dry about 20 years ago, but your more than welcome to it! (Couldnt resist) Ours was the same way, endless supply of water, then one day it just up and went dry, I mean completely dry. I dropped my camcorder down in there on a rope about 10 years ago, and its still dry, not even a trace of water. Cheaper for us at the time to just go on city water. My late stepmother drilled one about 8 years ago, cost her 7000 and change to go 450 ft.
Thanks for your help John, and I would consider taking you up on the offer but I don't have a trailer long enuff on which to haul it :!: :shock: :eek: :lol:

·
-Willy-
1,420 Posts
It isnt by how deep your well is. Its more of how many gallons of water per minute it has at recovery.

Frankly if you have a well with the pump at 120 feet of 180. I would set it down to 160. You only need 20 feet for sediment. Anything more and your throwing away water.

Our well here is 220 feet and is 3 gpm. The law here says that you must have at least 20 feet of 6 inch casing into the ledge. So our casing is 30 feet long. We have 200 feet in reserve, its what 400 gallons of water in the pipe. It takes us 2 hours of full blast on 1 inch pipe at 80 psi to pump off that 200 feet.

·
Super Moderator
7,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We ran the pump on the 4 year old well for about 36 hours after chlorination to take a "clean'' water sample. I may not be remembering where the pump was set, but I thought it was 120'. Ennyway, we have plenty of water so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts