Antique Tractors Forum banner

181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
I have read about the black pepper and I am going to try it, although the leak is minimal. I am also considering some of the chemicals available as radiator sealants. In any case, if I have to remove the rad again, I will take it to a specialized workshop, because I feel that everytime I remove and reinstall such an old and delicate item, a weld cracks or worse. It is quite important for me to finish the restoration of the cooling system because the grille is fixed to the rad bracket as well as the bonnet, the headlamps are attached to the grille and so on. Fortunately the pump leak is solved and the old lower hose has ended the leaks I had to suffer with the steel tubing.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Not much done this weekend. I finally found a chrome paint which is perfect for the mirror of the headlights and I also solved the radiator leaks with Liqui Moly Radiator Stop Leak K. I have left the radiator full of water. If the sealing is confirmed, I will empty it and fill with a proper coolant. If there is more leaking, I will take it to an specialized workshop for a full repair.
With a bit of luck, I will be able to install the headlights on the grille and the grille on the radiator bracket.
The injectors heads are still leaking, but that will be easy to fix.
In the meantime, I have repaired the blocked gear of the Fahr D177. But that will be another story....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Today I finished the headlights and installed them at the grille. However, it all will remain on the workshop table until the radiator arrives, because the grille has to be attached to the rad bracket.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
The right foorplate has a cut and three holes which should not be there. It has to be repaired at the welder´s workshop. So I had to remove it. It was an small mess because there are several brake pedals going through the plate And the brake lights switch.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
I forgot to explain that after much fettling with the radiator, it still leaked a bit. So, I decided to take it to a radiator workshop. Asking my friends around here, Jose Luis, the owner of the Tractor Museum, took me to meet a guy in a tiny village lost in the middle of nowhere. JL told me that the guy had been recently operated of a bowel cancer and was still recovering. And recovering he was.
When we arrived there, the workshop was empty. So we called him and he directed us to a bar nearby. When we arrived there the guy came out with so much alcohol in him that his blood was probably flammable. I was about to run away with my rad when the guy started to talk. He identified immediately a rad from a land rover which we also wanted to fix and then he looked at mine. I was astonished how he knew and described exactly the innards of my rad which has no tubes but copper straps plied and soldered. Maybe the man was soaked in wine, but he still was more knowledgeable in rads than I will ever be. Still a little reluctant, I left the rad there and it will be ready next week.

·
Super Moderator
8,438 Posts
Hopefully your radiator guy can fix it properly. Radiator repair shops are very hard to find, and I think it is still an important service needed. There is still plenty of work for these old machines to do.

·
Administrator
4,281 Posts
Hope you have good luck getting the radiator fixed. Jim's right about repair shops on this side of the big pond. The last one within 50 miles of me closed a few years ago.
I think the material used and manufacture process of automotive radiators over the past 20 to 30 years have made them more of a replace item rather than repair.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Today I cleaned the footplate and the related part of the frame. Not much done because I spent a long while disassembling the steering box of the Fahr D177.

It´s true. Radiators nowadays are even made of plastic and they are designed to be replaced, not repaired. Here in Europe, rad repairing is a business increasingly restricted to classic car restoring. Therefore, it is easy to find radiator workshops in large cities like Madrid where classic car restoring is a thriving business, but they are disappearing from the rural environment. And that is a problem, because farmers here have huge modern tractors, but also keep small old tractors for minor tasks that do not requiere huge 4WD monsters. And those fantastic relics need a technical support which is becoming scarce, forcing their final retirement.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
The rad mechanic says that he has fixed all the leaks but a tiny one... I will pick it up and try another sealing agent...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
I have tried another sealant and the leak is still there. I have also tried Nural 30, an external sealant, and the leak is still there. I am seriously considering to take out my shotgun and blast the radiator to pieces.
The question is: should I leave the leak as it is now, about four or five drops daily, or should I take it to another workshop and get the whole panel (the beehive) changed for a modern one?
What would you do?

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
In order to activate the sealant I left the engine running nearly one hour. The good news is that the ammeter started to work properly at last. The bad news is that the hydraulic system has a leak coming out from the axle seal, Look at the whitish fluid spilled on the floor:

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
The water temp indicator remains static. I must check it heating the sensor. I also must repair the return pipe connecting the heads of the injectors and the tank. It leaks badly and has already been soldered. This damned tractor has more leaks than the Titanic.
On the other hand, the engine starts every time faster and roars beautifully.
I think that the priority here is to take a decision regarding the rad. It is blocking the restoration.
Having a couple of rattle cans of hunting pink lacquer, I used them to paint the fan shroud and surface of the front wheels in contact with the wheel hub and placed them on the hubs with a couple of screws. I intend to paint them there with urethane two pack paint.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·
The technician at the rad shop has adviced me not to repair the leak, given the tiny amount of water flowing. He told me to put some more Nural 30 on the lower part and leave it that way.
I think that is what I am going to do. I have left the rad full 24 hours and the Nural sealant was wet in two spots, but there was not a single drop of water under the rad.

·
Super Moderator
8,438 Posts
I am sure you have thought about this. I hope it will withstand being pressurized.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
I hope so. But I must go on with the restoration. I cannot waste more time looking at the rad looking for wet cracks. Following the technician´s advice, I have filled the lower part of the rad with sealant and done. In case it starts oozing fluid again, I will take it to the workshop.
Now, I am studying the hydraulic lift looking for the leaking point. I think the leak comes from the piston rings of the hydraulic cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
8,438 Posts
I understand your desire to continue onward. I hope all works out well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
It is always a big mistake to leave a wounded enemy behind, but I have been struggling with the rad now for six weeks or more. Cannot waste more time. If it starts to leak badly, I will take it to the rad shop.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Yesterday I painted some scratches at the front end and the front rims. The two pack urethane paint is fantastic.

181 - 200 of 210 Posts