And then I finished the front wiring. I had to do some minor mods to the wiring because I am sure that the starter has been repaired some time and it does not start contacting the shuttle with the negative pole, but with the positive, and that interferes the proper working of the lights. Arranging everything properly was a sort of chess match. If I have to disassembly everything because of a rad leak, believe me, I am going to blast the whole tractor!
And here is the seat frame. It is a bit distorted and I have to think how to correct it for a proper fit on the tractor. As you can see, it is a double seat, but whoever sits there with me is not going to be very comfortable!
Today I have disassembled the hydraulic piston. You might remember that there was a leak out of the lift axle. First thing I guess is that the tractor lacks a cover/plug like this one which was placed on the right end of the axle housing. With such a cover the leak had never been noticeable.
However, as you can see in the pic below, the piston has twoˋpiston rings. These rings are supposed to be identical to the engine piston rings. But not in this tractor because as you might remember, the block had been changed and pistons are no longer 3,5” but 3,75” in diameter, so the spare rings I had are of no use. And I have to change the rings, because when I insert them in the sleeve there is a 2-3mm gap between the rings´ ends and they should contact one each other. It is not serious if they don ˋt contact, but then the lift arms will slowly drop. This is the sleeve and the piston. There is a banjo screw connecting the pressure line from the pump to the sleeve end.
Today I dismantled the fuel line returning from the injectors to the tank because it was leaking badly. I had bought a replacement but I was not satisfied with it because the inside of the washers was not concave, leaving little room for the fuel flow. You know, one of those useless spare parts offered in internet nowadays. So I decided to restore the original part which had been soldered with a very rough finish. So, I discarded the connecting hose and ground the solder in both terminals until a regular finish was achieved.
I also drilled the inside of both tubes to recover the original diameter and connected both terminals with a new hose.
I also put new copper washers in the injectors and this put an end to the fuel leaks.
Encouraged by the success with the fuel leaks, I decided to solve the oil leak at the oil filter. I took out the filter housing to check the seal ( half a liter oil went to hell...) and installed it again and started the engine. The leak was even worse (some more oil to hell...). So I took out the housing once again (more oil wasted...) and checked the seal groove. Incredibly, there were some remnants of a previous seal packed at the bottom of the groove. I cleaned the groove and installed the seal and the housing. The oil started pouring out of the housing like a fountain ( at this time, there was more oil in hell than in the tractor...). But at that time my friend Jose Luis arrived at the shop and told me not to tighten so much the filter screw. Well, that ended the oil leak for good. Live and learn....
A forum community dedicated to Antique & Classic Tractor owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about classic restorations, references, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!