Antique Tractors Forum banner
261 - 278 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
In the meantime the bonnet is ready for filling and painting, waiting for me at the sheet metal workshop. I must call to the welders to know if the rear rims are finished.

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Looks like Pepe could not wait to dive into it. Best of luck with it and look forward to your progress.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
At 86 Pepe has got a lot of energy!
The bonnet seems to be ready at the sheet metal workshop. They had a lot of trouble repairing it because it is very thin. Next week I will start finishing it.
Whenever I am considering a tractor for restoration, I always check if the sheet metal is ok and if there is enough supply of spare parts. Sheet metal parts are delicate, exposed to damage and rust and expensive to deliver if available.
Usually it is far easier to find a crankshaft in internet than a grille or a bonnet in good condition. It has taken me many months to find a fine sheet metal set for the Renault D30 in France and it was a mess to get it delivered.
But I have got a lot of fun driving with my father through the flat expanses of Castilla from one junkyard to a forgotten spares shop looking for parts, now that he is slowly losing his memory in a sort of long farewell.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Well, after a month and a half the bonnet is finally here and Argos is inspecting the job done:

Motor vehicle Plant Wood Fender Grass

The sheet metal is very thin and any weld had to be done very carefully.

Wood Art Road surface Paint Wall

Now, all that is needed is some little filling and then priming and painting.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Wood Paint

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
And this is the famous “scuttle”, a true hallmark of early Cropmasters. My sample lacked it, and one of the fixing screws, attached with a weld to the tank, is not there. I suspect that it was never installed, but I was able to find one in a junkyard in England and I decided to buy it.
It has been collecting dust in the shed for more than a year. The other points of attachment are the footplates. If the scuttle is stable enough without the tank screw, I will use it. I could also fix a screw on the tank somehow… any ideas are welcome!

Automotive tire Plant Light Road surface Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Leg Plant Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
And this is how it looks on its place:

Tractor Window Agricultural machinery Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tractor Motor vehicle Picture frame Vehicle Automotive design

This how the tractor looked like when it first arrived one year ago. No scuttle and no side panels. I still have to decide whether to leave it like this or go the extra mile andinstall the scuttle and look for side panels.
Probably I will start painting the fenders and the cowl tomorrow. I also have to sand some paint runs on the front rims and repaint them. Next week I will order the front tyres.

·
Administrator
4,684 Posts
And this is the famous “scuttle”, a true hallmark of early Cropmasters. My sample lacked it, and one of the fixing screws, attached with a weld to the tank, is not there. I suspect that it was never installed, but I was able to find one in a junkyard in England and I decided to buy it.
It has been collecting dust in the shed for more than a year. The other points of attachment are the footplates. If the scuttle is stable enough without the tank screw, I will use it. I could also fix a screw on the tank somehow… any ideas are welcome!
You're right. That's part of what makes the look of a Cropmaster. It needs to be on in my opinion.

As far as attaching a screw to the tank, This is the best stuff I know to stick metal together without welding it.
My company Kone used it to reattach the stainless steel clips on escalator decking once what they used first gave up.
Follow instructions and you will bend 1/8" mild steel or stainless before it will come loose. Just after being fastened.
I used it to attach lots of brackets on elevators and escalators. If you can get it or something equivalent.
It's not cheap, but worth the money. A little goes a long way.
loctite 330 - Google Search
Loctite 1690727 No Mix Adhesive Kit
Liquid Fluid Personal care Plastic bottle Paint

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Again awesome work! Everything fits together perfectly.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 ·
You're right. That's part of what makes the look of a Cropmaster. It needs to be on in my opinion.

As far as attaching a screw to the tank, This is the best stuff I know to stick metal together without welding it.
My company Kone used it to reattach the stainless steel clips on escalator decking once what they used first gave up.
Follow instructions and you will bend 1/8" mild steel or stainless before it will come loose. Just after being fastened.
I used it to attach lots of brackets on elevators and escalators. If you can get it or something equivalent.
It's not cheap, but worth the money. A little goes a long way.
loctite 330 - Google Search
Loctite 1690727 No Mix Adhesive Kit
View attachment 22402
Probably I am going to use. Looks like the best option. Thank you Dave.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
And here it is with the seat refurbished and installed. As you can see, the rear plate of the seat remains original. I am seriously considering varnishing it as it is as a reminder of the original condition of the tractor.

Tire Tractor Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Looks great! I think preserving the originality of the seat back is a good idea.

·
Super Moderator
8,909 Posts
Two more to go!

261 - 278 of 278 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.