Antique Tractors Forum banner
261 - 265 of 265 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
In the meantime the bonnet is ready for filling and painting, waiting for me at the sheet metal workshop. I must call to the welders to know if the rear rims are finished.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
Looks like Pepe could not wait to dive into it. Best of luck with it and look forward to your progress.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
At 86 Pepe has got a lot of energy!
The bonnet seems to be ready at the sheet metal workshop. They had a lot of trouble repairing it because it is very thin. Next week I will start finishing it.
Whenever I am considering a tractor for restoration, I always check if the sheet metal is ok and if there is enough supply of spare parts. Sheet metal parts are delicate, exposed to damage and rust and expensive to deliver if available.
Usually it is far easier to find a crankshaft in internet than a grille or a bonnet in good condition. It has taken me many months to find a fine sheet metal set for the Renault D30 in France and it was a mess to get it delivered.
But I have got a lot of fun driving with my father through the flat expanses of Castilla from one junkyard to a forgotten spares shop looking for parts, now that he is slowly losing his memory in a sort of long farewell.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Well, after a month and a half the bonnet is finally here and Argos is inspecting the job done:

Motor vehicle Plant Wood Fender Grass

The sheet metal is very thin and any weld had to be done very carefully.

Wood Art Road surface Paint Wall

Now, all that is needed is some little filling and then priming and painting.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Wood Paint

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
And this is the famous “scuttle”, a true hallmark of early Cropmasters. My sample lacked it, and one of the fixing screws, attached with a weld to the tank, is not there. I suspect that it was never installed, but I was able to find one in a junkyard in England and I decided to buy it.
It has been collecting dust in the shed for more than a year. The other points of attachment are the footplates. If the scuttle is stable enough without the tank screw, I will use it. I could also fix a screw on the tank somehow… any ideas are welcome!

Automotive tire Plant Light Road surface Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Leg Plant Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

261 - 265 of 265 Posts