Antique Tractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The flywheel toothing looks quite fine.

It took me a lot of effort to remove these counterweights installed in a recess at the front of the fore tray. Over 60 kg of steel.

·
Administrator
4,154 Posts
I agree about the cleaning, but it's a labor of admiration and that junk is all worth it when it's finished.:love:

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
Its cleaning up nice, and a very usable tractor and its parts are being revealed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Today I have removed the inyection pump. I still have to remove the tray. I have to find out how, because I am afraid that removing the tray means to open the timing gear housing.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
And this is the oil pan. Curiously enough, it was not black once the crusted grease was cleaned. By the way, I used an oven cleaner spray. Great stuff.

Obviously, the oil pan had been repaired after a blow. I think I am not going to paint it because it showed no paint remnants.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I finally was able to remove the injection pump bracket but not without breaking it...Spanish language has an unique repertoire of expressions which are very handy in these occasions...
I will take the part to the solder to fix it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
In the meantime I have replaced the pistons and they are ready to be installed. Here you can see three of them. I am very happy with the quality of the new pistons. They are a tight fit to the sleeves.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Tomorrow I will install the pistons with my friend Pepe and will start dealing with the cylinder head.
I also intend to check the starter motor and the dynamo.

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
You have done a great cleaning and prepping job on everything! I am enjoying your progress.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, Pepe, his son and I spent 10 hours working in the tactor today with a short pause for lunch and here is the result:
Pistons and a new head gasket installed.

Head cleaned, valves and valve seats ground. Valves installed and cilinder head installed. Valve clearance adjusted to 0.4 mm.

And finally, injectors installed.

Tomorrow, holiday in Spain, I will try to finish the cleaning of the head and prime it. It depends of the weather forecast inside my home. You know, you have to keep your tractor happy and your family running!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
By the way. I also checked the starter motor which works ok, but the dynamo did not work because it lacks one of the brushes. I have already ordered a couple.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It took me a couple of hours to clean the cylinder head and the water pump properly. I had to remove the inyectors in order to clean all the nooks and crannies properly. I also cleaned the rocker chamber. I have put the rocker cover in its place to protect the innards of dust. I think I will polish the rocker cover and varnish it instead of painting it. I will also polish all the copper tubes. Maybe it will look like an old coffee machine, but I always can paint it all if I don ´t like the result.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yesterday I went to the automotive parts store to buy the fuel and oil filters. When I started looking for the specs, I realized that this tractor should have a vertical oil filter bowl. Instead of that, it has a horizontal bowl. You can see the housing for the bowl in the upper pic of the left side of the block. Then I thought that this might be related to the fact that the cylinder diameter is bigger than what it was supposed to be for the model and year of the tractor.
I spent a good while thinking about this. Late in the afternoon my wife told me to go with her to a department store to shop shoes, clothing, etc. Applying the old adage that you have to keep you family running and your tractor happy (or maybe the other way around), I obliged, and while I was there waiting for her, I took my cell phone and looked for David Brown engines, not only Cropmaster engines. And then I found out that my tractor has an Implematic motor block. I still have to do some more research to find out exactly the model. I also found in Internet that early cropmaster diesel motor blocks cracked badly under frost, and many were removed and had a new block substituted. It seems that new model blocks were designed to be interchangeable with older models. I guess this solves the little mistery surrounding this tractor. I still would like to determine the exact model of the block and it would be interesting to know whether the were exported from Britain with the new block or it was installed here as a replacement for a cracked block.
But now I know what to look for. Only when you know what you are looking for, you know what you have found.

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
And what one is looking for will be found in at the last place one looks. That's what I told my grandson last week when he had misplaced one of my tools he was using. Interesting engine block story too!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
This weekend I removed the tank with the dash panel. It had a lot of decayed fuel oil, but is otherwise ok without leaks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
As you can see I have also removed the wheel hubs. The inner bearing of the left hub was a pain to remove, but finally gave in to the angle grinder. I intend to remove the front axle to clean it properly. It has two brackets fixed with six bolts each. There is no real need to remove it, but it would be much easier to clean if everything is dismantled and checked. Besides, sometimes a thorough inspection yields unexpected faults. For example, I knew that I had to replace the steering bar because the ends were welded to the heads, but I had not seen the real condition of the bar and the attempt to fix it with a welded bar.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The voltage regulator is attached to the right base of the tank. It is a Lucas RB106/2. It had some bugsˋ nests inside and it required a thorough cleaning.

Once cleaned, the bakelite looked dull. If you ever need to rejuvenate a bakelite or rubber item, smear some silicone grease on it. Look at the result:

Once the regulator was clean and ready for service, I managed to strike it with the tank when I was taking it out of the tractor and broke down....
After much cursing I found another one in good shape in eBay.

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
Voltage regulator tuned out nice!

21 - 40 of 78 Posts