Next task was to do the oil pan seal. I like to make my own seals. It is fun and much cheaper than buying the seals. I have found out a little trick to make the holes in the seals. I use dies and I have tried putting the seal on rubber, plastic and whatever soft and flat I have got around. The best results were using a wooden block but in line with the grain, not perpendicular.
When I was starting to restore this tractor, and started stripping off the paint, I uncovered the covers of the clutch and the gear. Both are beautiful aluminum castings. A friend of mine, a great tractor collector, saw it and said that if it were his, he would leave those castings in varnished natural metal finish. I have been thinking about it since then. I also remember having read that some of the first Fordson 9N had an aluminum hood which some owners polished instead of painting it. The castings have a grainy surface but once cleaned they look too great to be painted. So I decided to go ahead. This is the result with the clutch cover.
I have already cleaned the inside of the tank. There was a pine seed, a sort of roller of a bearing and some grit inside. I extracted both with the gripper of the fireplace and a flashlight. I would love to further rinse the inside, but now we are suffering very cold weather and all the water pipes in the workshop are frozen. I will try again in some few days, but in the mean time, I cannot paint the tank
I have been a bit idle with the Cropmaster due to an excessive workload for some days. I had no time for fun even on weekends. But I managed to do some few little things. This is the main fuse cleaned and ready for service and installed in the tank cradle.
A forum community dedicated to Antique & Classic Tractor owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about classic restorations, references, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!