Antique Tractors Forum banner

101 - 107 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
So I have to find a new one.
I also restored the oil manometer. It works very well and it is original. I am happy with the result.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
When I fixed the front steering bar I managed to break the threaded stud of the right ball joint....

After much cursing I took a look at the old steering bar which still had the ball joints attached. Very attached because they had been welded to the bar...

I started to think that recovering one of the ball joints was going to be hopeless, so I started looking for a replacement in the net. As it turned out, all the replacements available were of a different design with the grease nipple attached at the bottom, not on the side. Only a tractor junkyard in the UK seemed to have one available but the owner still could not understand the new trade rules after brexit regarding taxes, so, after a long wait, I decided to give the old steering bar a chance.
I started cutting the weld, but the joint still refused to turn. I tried so hard that I managed to break the bar. It is amazing the amount of steel that I have broken with my own hands. This left the stud blocked inside the joint. Some more cursing and I started drilling the inside of the stud until I left a threaded shell that I could remove. One of these days I will buy a press drill...

Then I finished the ball joint with an angle grinder with a sanding disk.

And primed it. It took me many hours, but I am very proud of the final result.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I cleaned the radiator once again and sanded the overhead tank and the lower part.

Then I painted it with heat resistant paint.

And installed it. Probably I will have to take it apart once again because I intend to make a shroud for the fan which is lacking.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Then I started cleaning the air filter. Believe me, it really had to be cleaned...

The oil pan has a couple of bumps which are beyond my abilities because the inner cup is a hindrance when trying to hammer them out. I will take it to a professional workshop to get it right.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
And here is the dashboard. The key switch still has to be fixed because the attachment provided is unusable...The ID plate has not been attached yet because I have to engrave the serial number. I have not identified the original engine number because, as I have already explained, the motor block is a replacement.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
In the meantime, a newcomer arrived home from Asturias, north Spain. A present from a friend of mine. It is a Renault D30 with a three cylinder Perkins engine. It will have to wait a long while as I have a Fahr D177 to restore once I finish the Cropmaster. But that will be another story...

·
Super Moderator
8,279 Posts
You do amazing work, and the next tractor looks pretty straight to me.

101 - 107 of 107 Posts