Antique Tractors Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
All the wiring related to the dash has been labelled, installed and fixed before placing it on the tank. The choke cable is also ready. Now I have to go through my own pics and the manuals to find how the cables were tied.
I have attached this strip of fiber cloth to the tank. It is there to avoid scratching the tank with the cowling. I used the belt of a blind that can be found in any hardware store. The original was made of cotton, but cotton traps moisture, and moisture means rust, so I upgraded the strip to a modern fiber one. I dipped both ends in superglue to avoid fraying. The color shoud be a bit paler but it is good enough for me.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
Today I started filling the cooling system with antifreeze coolant. Then the water pump started to leak badly...
I felt truly demoralized when I saw those drops falling happily.
I really should have checked the pump and the whole cooling system and not only the radiator, but the pump looked fine with no endplay at all and I decided to trust my good luck.
But worse was yet to come.
So I took out the radiator out again, and then the pump. I cleaned all the rust inside the rotor chamber and the seal remnants.

Then I went to Pepe ´s workshop as he has a good press to extract the rotor.
We fitted the pump carefully in the press...

And then the press blasted the whole pump body casting. A big chunk of steel hit my left elbow. It still hurts a lot but, thank God, does not seem to be broken.

Having received a clear message that today is not the day to keep playing the fool in the shop, I ordered a new pump and went home to get some pain killers, a drink, and a good lunch followed by a homeric siesta.

·
Super Moderator
8,348 Posts
Sorry to see this, and it was a good time to walk away for awhile.

·
Administrator
4,234 Posts
Sorry for the set back. Good thing is you could order a new one.
Some old tractors a broken part like that turns into months or years of searching.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
I think that some days our abilities to make handcrafts is somehow impaired. If you detect that you are in one of those days, best that you can do is read a good book while you listen to some music with a glass of your favourite drink. Anything is better than damaging something or getting harmed.
The water pump is easy to find. Unfortunately most of them are located in the UK and there is a considerable mess about VAT, custom taxes and some other expenses after Brexit, so you never know how much you are going to pay at the end of the day. Fortunately, european dealers are reacting and they now provide most of the spare parts that some months ago were only provided by british spare parts companies. I found one spare water pump in Netherlands and another one in the Spanish branch of a french dealer. This last one is the pump I bought. It will be here on Monday and I am glad about it because I hate the look of the tractor without the pump.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Not much done today because we went to enjoy the sunny day in Segovia for lunch.
However, I still managed to take the headlights apart, which are in a remarkable condition.

The blinkers were, and still are, mandatory. But they are not original and they have to be removed and the holes filled. I also removed the David Brown plate from the grille.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·
This is the grille after removing headlights, blinkers, emblem and hammering out the bumps.

And this is the final result after treating the outer surface with paint remover and a wire brush disc.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
And this is the back side. It took me a whole morning to remove all the grime.

I primed the inside but then I realized that I have to fill with weld the holes left by the blinkers.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
I started cleaning the headlights. There was some rust inside and some nuts and screws refused to oblige. The mirrors were rather decayed. It was not chromed but covered in a silver hue. I went to the paint shop and found an accurate color to restore both.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
The David Brown emblem on the grille also needed some attention. I polished the scratches and restored the paint. In this pic the letters had already been polished.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Then I started sanding the headlights hoods and rims. Now they are being primed. I will leave the cavities of the hoods as they are now, because the paint was in a good shape, there is something written with gold paint in them, and a good cleaning was all that was needed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
In the meantime, I have overhauled the hour meter. The dial glass was dirty and broken. The plates were dirty and damaged and the numbers were dirty and hardly visible. This is the hour meter with the paint stripped.

The plates were restored as far as possible.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Then the meter was opened and the numbers discs restored with white paint.

Then I carved a new dial glass out of a piece of acetate.

Then the plates were masked and the meter primed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Like this:

Now all that remains is a good coat of urethane paint. I am gathering several items in order to paint them all together: the air filter, radiator bracket, headlights brackets and grille. And maybe some more like the steering column.

·
Super Moderator
8,348 Posts
Great work on the little details!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
And these are the battery supports cleaned and primed. It took me a lot of time to clean all the nooks and crannies!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
The cooling pump was not the only leak in the cooling system. There was also another leak in the block drain tap. As a matter of fact, there were two different leaks in the tap.

So I began looking for a replacement. But, first, I took a look to the parts manual and I discovered that originally there was no tap there but a winged plug. So I went shopping and found a suitable plug for 1,5 euros in a plumbers´ store. Not winged, but good enough for me.

121 - 140 of 157 Posts