Antique Tractors Forum banner

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
And then I started dealing with the steering wheel. The original wheel was useless and I blasted it trying to extract it from the steering axle. So I bought an spare one, but when it arrived it was clear that the rim of the cup was distorted. Instead of a circle it was a sort of triangle and the central plate did not fit in it. So, I heated the central cup while I pressed the plastic with a flask from the inside until the plate fitted in. Then, I polished the plastic surface with silicone grease. This is a trick that I learned in a german tractor magazine that creates a nice sheen in hard plastics, ebonite, etc.

Supposedly, the central plate should be red, sorry, “hunting pink”, but I like it in black.

·
Super Moderator
8,385 Posts
You certainly made it look very nice!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Thank you Jim. Today it was my birthday and I took a leave. I spent a very relaxed day. I went to the local paint shop and I bought a box full of primers and other sorts of paints, one of them is a tar paint that I intend to use in the rims. After a birthday lunch and a short siesta I installed the steering column, the steering wheel and all the linkage. I had some difficulties with the splined shafts (I hate them) but I finally coaxed both the steering wheel in the column and the linkage in the axle.

·
Administrator
4,251 Posts
Happy Birthday!!!! 🎁🎆🎇
Glad you enjoyed your day. I wish you many many more.
Splines serve a much needed service, but can be troublesome.
I think more taking an old rusted together one apart, than putting a newly (very well) cleaned one back together. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,385 Posts
Happy Birthday and great work as always!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Thank you Dave, thank you Jim. It was a great birthday because I switched off the cell phone!
Today I cleaned the other front rim which had more rust in the tyre groove, so I used the angle grinder with sanding discs, the battery drill with wire brush discs, wire brushes, pressurized cleaning agents and even a small screwdriver to remove dirt from all the nooks and crannies. Cleaning each rim took me several hours until they were ready for priming. As the second front rim was considerably corroded, once cleaned, I painted the tyre groove with a rust inhibiting paint which had to be black as the paint shop had no other option. Never mind because it is going to be covered with a coat of red urethane paint. I am happy with the result.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
And then I spent several hours cleaning and priming the rear part of the tractor. First I took off the drawing tray which is fixed with four big screws under the rear axle. Then I started once again the cleaning chore: grinding, brushing, washing and priming for several hours. The end result is good, but needs some touch-ups.

I also took the fenders to the local welder to repair some holes and cracks and finished the engine wiring. Tomorrow I will install the new pump, finish the cooling system and start the engine again, hopefully using the normal procedure.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
This is the original wiring diagram for a David Brown Cropmaster Diesel. Note that earth is positive. The diagram shows two 6 volt batteries connect in series that I have replaced with a single 12 volt battery.

·
Super Moderator
8,385 Posts
Not only is this project shown your patience and great hard work. It has also shown the overall quality of materials used to make this older machinery. Heavier parts and construction were designed with longevity in mind, and with the owner being able to make repairs so the machines would last. Today's equipment will not stand up to time., and in addition their electronic and computer systems will become obsolete and speed their demise.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
I agree with you, Jim. These tractors were built to be eternal. Not like new tractors. A friend of mine owns a very modern MF and the cooling is already leaking. And I have driven some JD with a cab that looked like the Darth Vader fighter.
I do believe that these old tractors still have a place in every farm. Current tractor brands do no longer build small, robust, no frills models.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
This weeken I installed the new cooling pump and started the engine again. The engine starts first touch, but the exhaust started belching white, dense smoke once again. So we took out the injectors. One of them was expelling a lot of fuel, so, Pepe and I suspected that the nozzles were not working properly, so I took them to a specialized workshop where we tested two of them. One was partially blocked and the other gave too much fuel out. So I decided to change the nozzles. The workshop has already ordered the nozzles and will install and adjust them in the injectors. If this fix solves the running of the engine, the engine chapter will be finished, otherwise, I will advance the injection pump. And if this is not enough, I will send the pump to the workshop for a checking.
On the other hand, when I filled the cooling system with water, there were two leaks: one was at the base of the radiator, where a crack had developed in the solder at the base. The other leak was at the pump seal, which had a shape slightly different to the original part. I corrected the crack with solder, removed the pump and installed it again with a silicone seal.
By the way, I tried to start the engine with the starter push button but did not work. I must review the wiring which is probably incomplete or wrong.
Fortunately, when the engine was running, I checked the gears and they seemed to work beautifully.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Yesterday I came back from work as fast as I could to pick up the injectors which were ready with new nozzles at the workshop. The man told me that he was retiring next week and with the amount of money he asked for from me I think he will be able to retire in Bahama. Anyway, I have the injectors at home with new, original CAV nozzles. I will install them today.
I also picked up the radiator shroud. As you might remember, the tractor lacked the radiator shroud. Probably it did not fit with the four blade fan required for the new block and the weather in Spain And somebody removed it. Instead of buying a shroud and a fan, both from a junkyard in Britain, where they sell them as if they were made of solid gold, I decided to design and build one. The design was straightforward and Gonzalo, the local ironsmith built it for 40 €. A mere fraction of the price of parts at the junkyard. I primed it and will be installed today at the radiator bracket.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 ·
Today I intalled the injectors with the new nozzles and the radiator shroud. There was no way to install the lower hoses of the radiator and pump without leaks, so I took out the old hose and installed it instead of the new hoses. Then I filled the cooling system with tap water. No more leaks. Then, we started the engine. Once again lots of smoke belching from the smokestack. Some cursing and we attacked the advance of the injection pump. We adjusted it to the spilling point marked in the flywheel and then we tried to start the engine. No way. We fettled with the pump and tried again. No way. Then we applied a starter spray in the air admission and the engine started, but choking and with lots of smoke. But after some few seconds the smoke suddenly went away and the engine started to run smoothly and reacting to the throttle like a tiger. Done!
Pepe and I left the engine running at idle and pumping oil while we greased ourselves with a fantastic bottle of wine and some tapas.
When we came back to the shed there was hot water coming out of the radiator cap. I opened the the cap (slowly) and lots of water started to spill out with some pressure. It was clear that water was not circulating properly because the thermostat remained closed. Then Pepe said, with that wisdom only given by age, “you don ´t need a thermostat in Spain!”. So away it went. We started the engine many times more and it always started swiftly and reacted beautifully to the throttle. No more problems with the radiator. By the way, the shroud fitted to the fan like a glove, although I had to cut a little piece of sheet metal at the upper side to make place for the upper hose.

·
Super Moderator
8,385 Posts
Glad to hear that it roared back to life. I gotta ask, was the thermostat installed backwards at first?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Ha ha. No, Jim. When I installed the new pump I checked carefully the position of the thermostat as indicated in the manuals. Look.

I think that there are two possibilities. One might be that these engines run at a very low temperature. The water was not boiling in the radiator when I opened it. The other possibility is that the thermostat might be defective although it was new. I have observed that non original spare parts are frequently made in countries with poor quality controls and sometimes they are defective in spite of being new. I still have the thermostat on the table and I will check it.

·
Super Moderator
8,385 Posts
I had to ask! You are right about questioning the quality of new thermostats. A mechanic from my past often suggested testing a new thermostat in a pot of boiling water and a thermometer to make sure the thermostat was good.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Feel free to ask whatever you wish, Jim!!! I also considered to test the thermostat and reinstall it, but they are only useful in really
I have started the engine once again. It has a bit reluctant cold start, but nothing serious. The radiator still leaks a little and I am considering using one of those leak sealing products. The fuel line connecting the injector heads also leaks, maybe a cracked weld. Must check it. The water temp indicator simply does not move, it is true that the engine has never run hot, but I will take out the probe and check it. I have also completed the engine wiring and now the engine starts pushing the start button as it should. The dynamo seems to be working because I have measured current coming out, but the ammeter is also static. Must check that. I have also made the wiring of both headlights. By the way. If you look at the headlights you might be left wondering why one of the glasses is clear and the other has a frosted area at the edge. The reason for that is to avoid dazzling people driving on the other side of the road. Therefore, and considering that british drive on the wrong side of the road, the frosted area has to be located at the outer edge of the right headlamp.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
And here is the radiator shroud installed. Probably I will have to round off the upper corners of the shroud for a proper fit of the bonnet.

·
Super Moderator
8,385 Posts
Try some black pepper in the radiator. He shroud fits right in, and the unique light would be useful on local roads as my eyes do not like many of the very bright headlights used these days.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Sorry for the cut sentence...

Feel free to ask whatever you wish, Jim!!! I also considered to test the thermostat and reinstall it, but they are only useful in really cold countries. Castile, the central plains of Spain, is hot in summer and cold in winters, but not so much to require a thermostat to ease the running of the engine. As a matter of fact, when I opened the pump, there was no thermostat in it!

Here is the old flexible hose which I had to install in place of the beautiful steel tube which was a pain in the ass to fit. I have to buy a new one soon because this one is not going to last for too long...

161 - 180 of 181 Posts