Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the rad of the Cropmaster is fixed, I decided to take a close look at the Fahr D177 parked forlorn in my backyard awaiting restoration.
I had detected that the gear was completely blocked and I was very worried about it. So, one saturday morning, while we left the Cropmaster running in, I told Pepe to join me and open the gear box of the D177.
This what we found:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The actuating bars were seriously corroded because water was leaking through the openings for the gear levers. Seems to be a common problem in this type of gear boxes because I have inspected several of them since then and all had the same problem. But before I start restoring this jewel, let´s learn something about it.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Fahr D177 is considered one of the five most reliable german tractors. Built at the end of the fifties to the beginning of the sixties in two versions, one of them, the D177S, was faster than the basic model.
This tractor is very plain. It was built using three blocks and four whels. The blocks are a ZF A208 gear box, a Mercedes Benz OM636 for cylinder diesel engine and a ZF two bar steering gear. The three units were well proven and extremely reliable. The ZF A208 gear box was used in other Güldner and MAN tractors. The OM 636 engine was the motive unit of the UNIMOG trucks and some Güldner tractors. Indeed, the Güldner A4M Toledo is technically almost identical to the D177.
So, we are dealing with a first class tractor, born to endure many years of hard work without major issues.

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Not questioning its toughness and reliability but it appears it definitely needs to be stored under a roof when not in use.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Before starting, I detected the following issues:
1. As I have already mentioned, the gear box is blocked.

2. The hydraulic axle had been welded to the elevating arms, certainly due to excessive play.

3. The steering box has two arms. The right one is broken, and the previous owner had modified all the steering, adapting it to a single arm system. That meant modifying all the steering levers, rendering them unusable for a proper restoration...

4. The engine seems to be more or less in order (I know I will regret having said this), but with some apparent problems like:
  • the air filter is almost useless due to rust.
  • the exhaust has major corrosion.
  • the fan has one blade damaged.
  • the radiator has some considerable blows.
  • the fan shroud is seriously corroded.
  • the tank has a tiny hole at the tank floor.
  • the starter motor does not start.
  • At least one of the antifreeze dishes has been sealed with silicone.

Beyond that, I think that all the items of the dash are useless and the dash support is partially broken. Oh, and the headlights come from a Citroën 2CV!
The sheet metal is more or less ok, but it has a serious cut on the right side of the hood:

Well, business as usual, you know...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not questioning its toughness and reliability but it appears it definitely needs to be stored under a roof when not in use.
Ha ha! Jim, these tractor has led a long and hard life under the spanish sun since 1959! Let us see how do I look like with 72 years!

But don´t worry, in some months this machine will look as new!

·
Administrator
4,314 Posts
Eduardo check your arithmetic. I've had a hard life under the sun since 1959.
Though sometimes I look and feel as rough and tired as that old Fahr looks,
I don't think we are quite that old yet. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Happy to say that I have a few years on the Fahr and Big Dave. Eduardo from what your talents have been displayed through your pics and thoroughness of your work the Fahr will live again. Looking forward to seeing it!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Eduardo check your arithmetic. I've had a hard life under the sun since 1959.
Though sometimes I look and feel as rough and tired as that old Fahr looks,
I don't think we are quite that old yet. ;)
Dave, you made me remember a famous quote by Samuel Beckett:
“Perhaps my best years are gone. When there was a chance of happiness. But I wouldn't want them back. Not with the fire in me now. No, I wouldn't want them back.”

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Happy to say that I have a few years on the Fahr and Big Dave. Eduardo from what your talents have been displayed through your pics and thoroughness of your work the Fahr will live again. Looking forward to seeing it!
Thank you, Jim. The more tractors I rebuild, the more I learn. Everytime that I take one of these beasts roaring back to life, I feel that I am rendering a humble tribute to the farmers who worked with them.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One of the first things to do when restoring a tractor is to remove whatever is hanging from the rear. You will get a better view and reach from behind and you will avoid accidents with chains, bars, etc. This how this tractor looked like at the beginning:

And this is how it looks after removing all, cleaning and painting:

Always remember to prime nude steel as soon as possible to avoid rust which can start to appear only some few hours after cleaning.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Once opened the gear box offered this view:

One of the best gearboxes of the time. The first space has already been cleaned and is crossed by the axle protected with grease. Hardly visible below is the pulley for the mower. So, this space is open from below. It is closed with a thin plate which is rusted and holed in every sample I have seen because water comes down through the gear levers and from below. The second space holds the christmas tree and the third space houses the differential.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While the Cropmaster was running trying to seal the rad, I decided to spray all the engine screws of the Fahr with WD-40. The idea is to let it there releasing the rusted threads slowly before disassembling the engine this summer.

As you can see in the pic, the headlights have been taken from a Citroën 2CV... The original lights are still made by Hella.
This week finally arrived the hydraulic ram from Germany, but it lacked the ram cover... not a big deal because I can use the cover of my ram, but these are the sort of things that happen buying through the net...

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The tank has several tiny holes at the bottom…I will take to Gonzalo, the welder, to see what can be done with it. This is a very frequent problem with a difficult welding solution sometimes.

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Your welder is very talented and you are fortunate to have him to help you.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, this is going to make you all laugh…:

This weekend I had a lot of help from several friends willing to mess with tractor engineering.
As you may remember, my Fahr D177 had the gear box blocked as it arrived, so I decided to open the box to see what was happening.
As I opened the box, I detected that the actuating bars were seriously corroded, so, I decided to look for a replacement. I found, and paid, a spare one in Germany, but one day as I explored my friend Jose Luis´ junkyard, I found a derelict MAN tractor with the same gear box and with beautiful bars and grey cover which I “requisitioned” immediately together with the levers.
As the hydraulic ram had the axle welded to the arms, I bought a replacement in Germany. As Fahr tractors can be bought any color you like as far as it is red, this green ram seems to come from a Güldner A4M Toledo, which also had the ZF A208 box. But it came without cover, something I solved with the Fahr original cover.
So, the final result is probably the pic of the year: a multicolored Fahr!

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
The main thing is that the parts are in good shape. When you described the different colors, and then I saw the picture, a late 1960s rock song popped into my mind, The Rolling Stones' "She's a Rainbow".

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The parts fit like a dream because they all were made in the same factory. Now I have to open the engine and take a look at the head, pistons, sleeves, pump, etc. But that will have to wait a while.
In the meantime I have cleaned the steering gear. The shaft was full of tiny stones probably inserted by a child. Now it is in order.

You can also see the repaired tank straps with new tightening barrels and the revised Bosch starter motor which turns as new.
This restoration is going fast!

·
Super Moderator
8,495 Posts
Great work as always!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts