Antique Tractors Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
And this is the current state of the tractor today. I will have to remove the radiator because it is impossible to install the belt with the radiator in place. I have already tried two belts without success.

·
Super Moderator
8,032 Posts
Like alot of us, he has the old tractor fever. You are progressing well, and the first time it fides up you will have the fever.

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
When I cleaned and removed the rust and paint of the gas tank, I detected many small holes in the bottom. I decided to try to close them with some brazing. I am not too sure about the wisdom of this method. Maybe I should have used Nural 21 paste. Any suggestion regarding this will be much appreciated.

View attachment 21116

View attachment 21117
I would also use a tank sealer along with the brazing.
Red-Kote and POR-15 are brands in the U.S. that I have been told work well.
I've never had the need to use them. So have no first hand experience how well they work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I think I am going to do a mix of solutions. I will let the brazing which seems to be well fixed, I will put some Nural metal paste over the brazing and I will look for for one of the products you are suggesting me to cover the inside of the tank.
This is the tractor today. The brakes are installed and adjusted, we were finally able to find a suitable belt and the frame supporting both tanks is in its place, although I am afraid I will have to remove it to install the dashboard.
In order to change the belt it is necessary to remove the whole radiator, which I did.
I also installed the double chain fixing the crankshaft to the transmission.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Today I installed the valve springs cover (previously I had to remove the carb...) and the dash panel ( first I had to remove the whole frame I had installed yesterday...)
Following one of the most established traditions of the Royal Society of Shade Tree Mechanics, I painted the dashboard outdoors instead of rigging up the whole painting arrangement in the shed 😄. I gave it two coats and it dried very soon under the sun.
It needs a coat of varnish which I will apply next week, once the paint is totally clean.

I am already designing the wiring, with only one doubt. The regulator is a french Ducellier ( obviously not original), and the terminals are coded as BAT (battery), DIN (Armature?) and EXC (Field?). The cables going out of the generator are not coded, either. I guess that the right one looking from the bottom towards the pulley is the armature and the left one is the field. I also have doubts regarding the ground pole. In these tractors, earth is positive, will it affect the proper function of the regulator?

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
I would think since the regulator was on the tractor for an unknown time, it is compatible with positive earth.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
This weekend proggress:

The front wheels were quite damaged, so it was necessary to fix the rim bumps using the hammer and a hydraulic press. I primed them in white and painted them in yellow. So they look like a pair of giant fried eggs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
When I varnished the dashboard using a can, the paint cracked in a couple of places. Probably too much varnish in those spots made the varnish solvent affect the paint. Careful sanding, priming and more sanding and tomorrow I will apply another coat of paint.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Next, the Monroe shock absorber for the seat is seriously corroded. Replacements are easy to obtain. I will talk with the owner of the tractor to see if he wishes a new one or to preserve the current item.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
The back of the seat had a decal which I woud like to obtain or duplicate. Does anybody have a pic of one of them in good shape?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
The air filter repaired and primed. I have found out that small holes in thin sheet metal can be fixed with molten lead. Yesterday I changed two tyres in my car and I commandeered a good supply of old used lead counterweights in the tyre workshop.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I think that I will paint the air filter in glossy black. That was the color of the paint remnants on it.

·
Super Moderator
8,032 Posts
You do great work!

·
Administrator
4,081 Posts
The decal for the seat comes in a decal set.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I appreciate your help, Dave. I will order one set.
Today I have painted and installed the seat but the shock absorber.
I have also mounted one wheel and left the hub and screws in red. Horrible. I will overpaint it in yellow.

Tomorrow I will start dealing with the gauges, switches, etc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Yesterday I started fixing the dashboard items. I will post an extended update about the dash soon. I also finished and installed the air filter. I could not finish the cooling system because I ran out of hose clamps when one of the few originals remaining broke down.

I painted the air filter with black paint because the paint remnants on it were black, but I have also seen red air filters in unrestored samples.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Today I finally finished the cooling system after much fettling with the hose connecting the pump with the radiator.
I also started refurbishing and installing the switches and gauges of the dashboard.
This is the starter switch with the rust removed and isolators changed.

And here are the original ammeter with the brass rim that appeared once I removed rust, paint and grime, the ignition switch which is a Jaeger, non original, item and a new oil pressure gauge.

Tomorrow I will order the front tyres, install the remaining gauges and switches and start the wiring.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Everything is looking great. the dash is coming back together nicely.
Thanks for the pictures and the updates

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Yesterday I finished all the wiring related to the engine. It is a very plain wiring and I could find an excellent wiring plan of a MH 44 that was very useful. The electrical system runs on 6V. In these tractors, earth is positive. I also painted the main fuel tank. The tank had a new bottom welded and sealed. Not very aesthetic but effective.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Today we tried to start the engine. No way.
First, the starter motor refused to engage. We took it away and detected that the gear was stuck by rust even though it had been inspected by a pro. We dismantled the Bendix gear, cleaned and oiled it. Once fixed and installed, it worked properly and the engine turned together with all the ancillaries. I was relieved to see that the oil pump is able to do its job because one hose blew out from the fitting and gave us a good shower of, fortunately, new and clean oil.
I swear that the radiator did not leak some weeks ago, but somehow today it decided otherwise and had two leaks, one of them requires welding because it affects the cast iron intake, the other one can be solved with brazing. When I tried to remove the two screws fixing the intake to the radiator both of them broke, so I will have so drill the remnants and make a new thread.
The cables we had for the distributor did not suit the replacement distributor, so we are looking for some others.
Nobody knows yet what is going to happen with the coil.
So the engine did not turn by its own means.
On the other hand, we adjusted the tappets.
I also installed hose clamps in the oil lines as the pressure is much higher than expected. I had run out of clamps and all automotive shops are closed saturday afternoon so I went to one of those popular shops (the best ones are those run by chinese) that never close where I could find an interesting assortment of hose clamps.
So, now the tractor is waiting for some welding and brazing in the radiator and new cables for the distributor.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts