Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Looks like a nice day for a ride. When I was a kid a friend had a snowmobile but he sold it because he could only use it every 4 or 5 years down here. With the snows we get these days an ATV does just fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In a state like Minnesota as well as the adjacent states of Wisconsin and Michigan, Snowmobilers are a big part of the economy in the winter. There are trail networks, and the restaraunts etc in the pictures get a lot of winter business from snowmobile riders passing through. Yes, from a utilitarian point of view, an ATV is more versitle, but the sensation of riding a snowmobile in entirely different.

I may live in the south now and don't want anyone to take this as an insult, but I don't plan on retiring here. Snow and cold is in my DNA as a native Minnesotan!

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Some communities in Ky are legalizing ATV's on the highway, and opening ATV trails for tourism. I would like to try out snowmobiling some time.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Nice pictures of the JD sled during your 50 mile jaunt! I enjoyed the trip.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments! Riding a vintage machine with limited suspension travel is sort of like riding an old three wheeled ATV with just the tires for suspension and comparing it to a modern 4 wheeler.

I tried to capture the scenery as best as I could.

Here, take a ride with me through my parents woods!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxdwiR_25MQ

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
That looks like a blast. I would like to spend one winter "up north" just so I could say I did :lol: I broke my leg on an old three wheeler 20+ years ago and it never has been the same :roll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts