Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you helped on the last question I'll give you a real important one to ponder. Having started the tractor 8 or 10 times with no weird sounds and observing the oil pressure gauge it indicates a disappointing 0. Replaced the gauge and fittings, made sure the line was clear but still reads 0. The old gauge would get up to 20 at higher RPM. My question is: what other causes can there be other than an oil pump failure that would not produce any oil pressure ? There seems to be some oil at the opposite end of the pump body. I thought that the old gauge was leaking based on the oil and mud in that under the dash. The gannon raises and will fall with the motor off after a minute or two which I have been told is not unusual. With the line disconnected at the gauge no oil seems to be in the tube.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, jim.

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
Oil pressure on the dash is not hydraulic pressure. These are two different things. Oil pressure on the dash is from your engine. So you say the line is clear. Does that mean you had the line off the guage and started the engine briefly to see if oil would squirt out the end of the tube? If not, what did you do to know the line was clear?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply. I removed the line and blew compressed air through it, it's clear.
I have disconnected the line at the gauge and there is not a drop with the engine running. Contacted the auto repair shop that rebuilt it 5 yrs. ago and he said it would have spun a bearing by now if there was no oil pressure. Any possible cure to get oil to the gauge?
Anywhere else I can get a source of oil pressure without disassembly of the engine?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just removed my oil filter and ran the engine as per the video. I got nothing. Pump evidently is not primed or worse. Unless someone has a better idea it appears that I will have to drop the pan and trouble shoot the pump. The mechanic says it is just like all old Fords. Of course, the last time I pulled a pan on an old Ford it was a late model Ford. Will have to look for a video on this one. Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
no oil

Latest is: pulled the pan and was going to pull the oil pump but noticed the tube that went from the pump to the block and presumably the oil galleries, is secured with a large nut. This nut had backed out and was held in by about one turn. The question is : Do you think this could be the source of no oil pressure? If it is the problem it would mean tightening the bold, replacing the pan, gasket and oil and giving it a try. Would rather not do this twice if this is not a possible solution, What do you think, Thanks.

·
Registered
477 Posts
There's a good possibility you have located the problem. I would tighten the nut, put the pan back on with about 4 bolts, put oil in it and see if you have pressure, if you do finish installing the pan. Good luck.

·
I have returned!
280 Posts
Sounds like the garage wasnt thorough in their assembly. Yup loose nut will rob you of pressure. Sounds good like you ducked something more nasty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tightened the nut securing the pressure tube to the block (oil galleries) put a few bolts in the pan, then a few more as the front ones leak when filling. Started up but nothing.
Question, is there a way to prime the pump? It certainly would have lost it by now. Can the distributor be pulled and the pump operated from above? I only had enough oil to get it to the add mark on the stick, is that enough?
Thanks all.

·
Registered
477 Posts
That's enough oil for a test. Set you timing on #1, pull your distributor. Your oil pump has a straight slot, use a flat driver on a drill to run the pump.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
skipper-still nothing so I ordered a new pump. We'll see what happens. It is either the pump or a plugged oil gallery. judging by the sludge that was in the pan either is a possibility.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the oil pump today which was more difficult than it should have been. One of the bolts would not come out of the block for some reason. Had to disassemble the put in place to remove it and then spent an hour getting the bolt out. It would turn but would not be removed from the block. Finally had to tap away with a small hammer to get it loose. Reassembled the pump and got it to pump fluid in my parts washer tank. Now I am really stumped as to why there is no oil pressure. Shot compressed air through the oil gallery and to the fitting to which the gauge line attaches behind the hydraulic pump. Guess I'll install the new pump and see what happens but I have limited expectations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
0317190718.jpg
Per your suggestion I pulled the relief valve and it was not dirty, perhaps as a result of running it in the solvent tank but it was certainly stuck. If the photo loaded(?) you can see the shiny pattern which indicates an out of round condition, my opinion.
Going to try to get the new pump installed today.
I am encouraged that this may have been the problem. Thanks for the good advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great news. 45 psi courtesy of the new oil pump. Now the 12 Volt conversion, a ten foot paint job and they put her to work. Thanks for the suggestions and support.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Glad to see that fixed the problem, and with 45 psi, the system isn't damaged. When you convert to that 12 volt, neg. ground system, don't forget to switch the wires on your ammeter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts