Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been a while since I posted anything but I just have to share this info about a Sthil chainsaw,figuring tractor guys also use chainsaws.
Well 4 years ago I bought a new MS251 Sthill saw to replace my aging 041 Farm boss. I noticed when I bought the thing the first couple of pulls on the starter rope were hard, jerky short, pulls. After that it puled easier. The dealer told me that was normal. It would take about 7 pulls to get the saw to fire. It ran ok after that and started fine once warm. Well the first time I ran it out of gas after refilling it wouldn't start. I finished out the day with my old 041, about 3 hrs of cutting. I tried the 251 again and it started right up. The next time I ran it out of gas it wouldn't start again. I hauled it off to the dealer and it started right up. A case of ya cant fix it if it aint broke. Note that if I didn't run it out of gas it would start fine. Anyhow I avoided running it out of gas again and got along fine except for the hard initial pulls on the rope.
Alas, in March of this year I ran it out of gas. Refilled the tank., This time it wouldn't start after letting it sit like it did before. I got to thinking about this.Drained the tank. I checked the fuel filter and the spark. Both checked good. I thought maybe something was wrong with the fuel supply lines. I had bought one of those vacuum pumps used to bleed brakes with. I rigged it up on the fuel line and pulled about 7 # of vacuum on the supply line. Held vacuum on it for several minutes. Disconnected the vacuum and filled the tank. The thing started up first pull! AND THE INITIAL HARD FIRST PULLS HAVE DISAPPEARED!. Now it takes about 3 pulls to get it to start and I can run it out of gas and it restarts with no problem. Also it runs better than it ever did. The question is: What the heck did I do?

·
Registered
323 Posts
sounds like there was maybe something that was gumming up the carb or the tank, when you would run it to empty, and the air pressure dislodged or blew out whatever it was

1 - 2 of 2 Posts