Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a 1949 8n. Engine was locked up,stuck clutch. Sat for about 8 years or so. PO told me they try to convert it to 12 volt by shoving a 12 volt battery in. Came with snowplow, which I don't think the tractor was used for anything else. Has original tires with one bad rear rim cause of CalC. This tractor has the nicest tin under the ugly blue paint. The checking on the pedals look like it was stamped yesterday. The old style steering box is nice and tight. I Don't think it had alot of hours on it. I've been soaking it for a couple of weeks and with the hand crank rolled it over yesterday. Popped the side covers and unstuck a couple of lifters. Still needs more work before I try to start it. I too busy to fool with it more than a few minutes every now and than but should have it running before long.
Oh yea, the price was right. The owner wanted to clean up the property and since I had the trailer with me he gave it to me for free. I don't go to look at a tractor without hauling a trailer and rarely come home empty.
One of my tractor buddies said the only thing better is to get one that's running for free.
I said is that a challenge???

Kirk

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Free is the greatest feeling in the world! Not a bad looking challenge at all, some guys have all the luck :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not as much as I'd like. I put new points/cond/rotor. Since i freed up the sticky lifter it seem to have probably enough compression to roll it over. Stripped off the old plug wires on it and didn't get a chance to put new ones on yet. I have the loggers in now and had to work on a backhoe and till my wife's garden inbtween the rain drops. I'm in no rush, always something to do, but I'd like to hear it pop so i know i'm heading in the right direction.

Kirk

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup, Got em soaking. Been rotating a little with the hand crank every now and then. Got the carb and exhaust pipe off for any overflow. While things are soaking and I've yet to pickup plug wires I jump over to the 881 and loosen the throttle disc up and because it had been locked up and the throttle lever was moved back and forth it loosen up the nut at the bottom of the lever. Tighten everything back up and connected the gov rod and it works good now. The PO had the bottom hose disconnected from the Radiator. Reconnected it, filled it with water and saw a flat metal piece with wings on each side thru the fill hole.
It's holding water but it will need some fixing. Put an alternater on it so the water pump spins. Getting ready to crank it over again and get it up to operating temp to check the SOS. Started raining again so ended that. I'll be working on removing the backhoe off one of the HD Ind. if the rain stops the next couple of days. Seem I'm always working outside on tractors and with the rain it's a pain, Have to shift gear for some inside projects. Very busy now, trying to play catch up from the winter. It's a good thing I'm retired because I don't have time to work.
Kirk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts