Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a warning that oil for modern gas engines may not contain enough zinc additive for old flat tappit engines, Diesel oil or especially straight grade oil 30 or 40 cf-2 for detroit 2 strokes should be better.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Is any of the Lucas stuff any good?
Been thinking of using RotellaT 15w40 too, I only run my stuff when its warmer :oops:

·
Super Moderator
1,701 Posts
bertman said:
Is any of the Lucas stuff any good?
Been thinking of using RotellaT 15w40 too, I only run my stuff when its warmer :oops:
Thats all I use in ALL my engines. But then again my old girls don't work either ;) It'll be interesting what they have to say about it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was thinking Rotella 20w50, my Farmall Super C is new to me, but I have it doing light chores around my property, and intend to plow a garden spot with it later this year. The operators manual says 20 weight low detergent.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my opinion the safest easiest oil for warm weather and old engines is straight 30 CF-2 oil designed for the old detroit strokes, because they haven't been manufactured for years the formulation shouldn't change, some of the new diesel oils CJ and later may have lower zinc content.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
lucas is great for gear box's but im not so shure about engines. from personal experience i notced that in engines with hydralic lifters the oil with lucas doesnt get to the top of the motor quik enuff, therefore causing rocker arm chatter at high rpms. solid lifter engines havent noticed any difference other then hard to crank over when its freezing out

1 - 7 of 7 Posts