Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,
Some pictures as I work on this project. I wanted to find a low cost 3 point disc for the garden. This antique small dics was located brought home and work started to bring it back to life.
I believe this was a Case or Allis disc since there is still some orange paint in a few spots. Maybe some one can identify. I am sure it was a two gang set at one time. It is only about 5 feet wide.
The right hand side was not turning when I drug it to the garage, so the disassembly started there.
It probably should have went to the scrap yard, as it was bent, rusted, and misused in many areas.

The actual discs were pretty good. I have used and seen with worse.

The bearings are wood which surprised me a little. All four of the grease fittings took grease after I cleaned them out. I have new bearings made from plastic. I will get a picture of those.

My friend Jim stopped and he seen what I was working on and said he had a extra three point hitch from a mower like this. Off I went to get it!

Here is the three point to be adapted to the disc.

Mock up as it is coming together.

I fabricated the front cross member from some angle and turned the corner with the angle to allow the draw pins to be bolted through. Also added a angle bracket in the center to support the two sliding adjustment arms. This will allow the disc to be lifted and the center of the disc will be supported.

Starting to come back together. May not be the prettiest pup in the litter but should level out some ground behind the Ford.

I wanted to keep the feature to set the angle of the discs, so this was freed up with the hot wrench and some well placed love taps. When you lift the handle you can adjust the pitch.

Well the new plastic bearings were not done yet but I put it back together to see how things fit.

Maggie is helping, Note: I did add a $25 jack at the front so I could hook up easier. Very front heavy. I did try it and seem that it is going to work. Jubilee picked it with no problem. I may add some weight to get it to cut good.

I will get some more pictures as I finish up the bearings and install the scrapers for the discs too. Maybe a picture on the tractor.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gordon,
I installed one of the new (plastic) bearings last night. I had to do some customization. ( Treanslate that into - I did not do a good job on some of the details when I had them built.) Time will tell if they are OK.
Hope to have this together by the time the garden dries out, which look like a week or so away:)
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Additional photos as the old disc comes back on line.
I don't think I am going to clean this rig up at this time, maybe during the summer I will add a coat of paint.

Plastic bearing with some mods to get it to fit into the bearing holder.

Bearings before mods.

Coming together with the cleaners and racks.

I may find some weight for the racks? I have some I-beam that might work. Just hate to cut it up for this.

Regards,
Chris

·
Administrator
4,352 Posts
Looks good Chris!! What luck running into a hitch that you could just fit to it. :cool:
Are your weight brackets big enough for a couple of concrete blocks in each?
Or anything that would add more weight would help. We had a walking tractor when I was a kid,
that I bolted a seat to the top of the weight bracket of the disc. Cut better and sure beat walking. ;)

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave,
Hope the weather is good in KY. I did get some bricks for the disc. and got both the gardens disced yesterday. These did a pretty good job of tilling the soil.
Not a lot invested and they did what I needed.
Yes a blind sow finds a acorn once in a while":) (the 3 point freebee worked well)
Picked up plants, seed potatoes and sweet corn today at the mill. Going to try Butter ans sugar, and Bodacious this year. Plus 50 lb of 10-20-20 fertilizer.
Was helping the son in law build a fence this afternoon.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
80 Posts
Looks good my friend ;) ;)
That'll do the job. Don't know if you have any friends close by in the earth moving business? I use old cutting edges for weight, they work great. Cut them to length and bolt them together. (just a thought)
Good talking with you tonight.
Take care,

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Todd,
Good idea for weights! These old discs did work good for the garden. We got that frost you warned us about on Sat and Sunday night. Lost some plants in the garden.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Super nice job Chris. What a stroke of luck stumbling into the free three point A frame at just the right time too !!! Sure looks like it fits the Ford well. Another sweet project under your belt.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Great job Chris if you had that painted with would look as good as any new one. :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Folks,
Yes, even these old tools can still have some usefull days left. Just took me a hour longer to get the gardens disced. The garden has since been frozze out and drowned. Corn is just starting to come up, potatoes are underwater.
Regards,
Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts