Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I asked on MissBetty's behalf if my brother had any old washboards to post a picture of. He pointed to the fluorescent light fixture right above my head and said to check above it. So right here is the first on on the stack....is this bringing back memories of a better time for the womenfolk yet ????

Imagine sticking this over the side of a wash tub and scrubbing diapers on the back porch for a few hours in the winter. MissBetty, you sure had to be made pretty tuff back then.

If scrubbing your knuckles to the bone on the Busy Bee wouldn't be enough, here's the old " Double Handi " to help you succeed.

It says here you can use either side...I guess if you wear one side slick with the backs of your knuckles you have a built in spare.

Looks like its been at least a week or two since these have seen duty in the washtub judging by the accumulated dust and errant mud dauber nest, so I guess the Missus gets to use the Maytag automatic sitting in the corner....

Isn't she the lucky one to get to use this new fully automatic Maytag instead of the washboards now ???? I sure hope MrsMassey doesn't find this post or she will want one too.......

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Re: Old Tools for the Womenfolk

I always thought they used those boards to make music....... :shock: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
466 Posts

That Maytag is exactly like Moms. She sold it at the farm sale in 1980 and bought a new washing machine when she moved to town....James

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

prwttsh, after watching Hee Haw, I would've thought so too, but I remember seeing the blasted things in use when I was a much younger lad. They are better at making music than they are at making dirty clothes clean. :D :D :D

Jwal, those old Maytags were a dime a dozen back in the day. I bet I've hauled two dozen to the scrap yard over the years. Now, kinda wishing I hadn't.

Here's another oldie but goodie:

I bet anyone that made their own ketchup recognizes these things. I have the old bottle capper around here some where.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Keep em coming Wendell!!! :D :D That washer was an upgrade when we got it It replaced the old gas one ;) ;)

·
Registered
4,485 Posts

Now Wendell you are doing good . I never use one myself but have watch my sweet mom scrub on one of those. My mom finally got a older model maytag. She had to start with her foot and sometimes it would kick her back . Oh it was truly work to be just a housewife inthose days.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

bettyp said:
Now Wendell you are doing good . I never use one myself but have watch my sweet mom scrub on one of those. My mom finally got a older model maytag. She had to start with her foot and sometimes it would kick her back . Oh it was truly work to be just a housewife inthose days.
Yes ma'am, I believe it. All the older generation were certainly a hard working motivated bunch of people surviving in a much tougher world. We sure got it easy now.

·
Registered
25 Posts

The washboard I have is from Shapleigh's in St. Louis. When my daughter was little and had grass stains on her jeans, this washboard came in handy to do the first scrubbing. As stated on a previous post, it certainly is a good knuckle buster.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

You know, a fellow just never knows how some stuff ends up where its at and the other day while digging in the lean-to looking for some tractor parts, up popped this first generation R2-D2 (of Star Wars fame)....Well that's what I thought it was at first, then I realized it was probably an instrument of torture for the women-folk a generation or so back....

However, beings as how it's cool to "re-purpose" old items, I've decided to look for an ostrich farm and donate it to them for incubating their eggs....think it'll work ??

Now, close inspection of the heat range dial indicated by the arrow reveals a setting that says "Half Baked"...so I was wondering if maybe this device could be responsible for all those uhhhhhhhhhh..... "IDEAS" that the ladies are always coming up with to keep us guys from the fishing hole or the workshop..... Of course, none of US guys are plagued with that issue as the ladies in our lives (AND ON THE FORUM) are all just absolutely perfect......

...off now to find the Yellow Pages and an Ostrich farm...... and a HARDHAT and EAR PLUGS !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Read it twice Wendell and haven't figure out what it is and how to use it
and what half baked is .You can just go on to the fishing hole if you want. :roll: :roll: :D

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Betty, just in case Wendell doesn't know what it is, it's a hair dryer. Reason I know i s in the 60's, the place Mom got her hair fixed at had these, we had to go along and sit there and not move and listen to the women gossip. OHH the torture of it. :lol:
Wendell, I don't see any pictures of glass wash boards. :eek:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Thanks Steve now that makes good sense. I remember some of those big rounds ones but really none looked like that one.
I would of never thought of that and I have set under one ,but been a long time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My mom had a similar hair dryer but the base was smaller and hers folded down for storage. Boy that thing was noisy.
The picture of the old Maytag washer reminds me of a story about my dad. They got electricity at the farm around 1940 and a couple years later Grandma upgraded from a gasoline powered washer to an electric Maytag like pictured. Dad was 12 and he took the gas engine off the old washer and mounted it on his bicycle.

I grew up in the same house and we had a modern washer but the old electric ringer washer was still there in the basement. We used it for jeans that were muddy or had manure on them because mom didn't want anything too messy ran through the "modern" washer that she washed the good clothes in. Got my fingers pinched in that darn ringer more than once.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
4imnotright said:
Betty, just in case Wendell doesn't know what it is, it's a hair dryer. Reason I know i s in the 60's, the place Mom got her hair fixed at had these, we had to go along and sit there and not move and listen to the women gossip. OHH the torture of it. :lol:
Wendell, I don't see any pictures of glass wash boards. :eek:
Yeah, I suspected the ladies spent a lot of time getting their "bouffant" all poofed up and hardened with the spray putty.... I'm still thinking it'd be a good incubator for oversized eggs. Just have to invert the bubble and put a little straw and feathers in and let it rip !! Just don't want to set it for "half baked".... I'm at a loss for the glass wash boards Steve, I only have room for just so much stuff....

bettyp said:
Thanks Steve now that makes good sense. I remember some of those big rounds ones but really none looked like that one.
I would of never thought of that and I have set under one ,but been a long time.
This is just a little guy that sat on a short shelf behind the salon chair MissBetty. I was just trying to poke your buttons and you all riled up and get your blood a pumping real good with this one.... I see I'll just have to work a little harder to get you all worked up !!! :lol: :lol:

Bikerdude, those old Maytags were almost impossible to wear out. They were built to last and last and last..... MissBetty can tell some stories about those old sputtering and smoking Maytag gas engines on those washers too.

·
Administrator
4,359 Posts
Miss Betty, I'm surprised you didn't recognize the old salon hair dryer.
The only barber shop where I grew up was also the only beauty shop.
The fella did the men's cuts and his bride did the ladies. They had three driers like that.
Does anyone remember the portable hair driers of the sixties? Mom had one like this.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
BigDaveinKY said:
Miss Betty, I'm surprised you didn't recognize the old salon hair dryer.
The only barber shop where I grew up was also the only beauty shop.
The fella did the men's cuts and his bride did the ladies. They had three driers like that.
Does anyone remember the portable hair driers of the sixties? Mom had one like this.
Big Dave ,I really was surprised my self that I didn't know what it was. Dave ,Wendell's faults ,by him saying half bake
was on it ,just threw me off. I'm old enough remember all those things. I never use one of the hair dryers you got a picture of but have seen them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mom had a Lady Sunbeam like this one.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Yes Bikerdude , never had one myself but had seen them lots of times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts