Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been looking at this tractor, I don't know if I will get it but I'm interested. Does anyone have any do's and don'ts to look / watch for on these models? It is 6 cylinder diesel, not running but engine turns over fine.

Jim

·
Registered
41 Posts
well my family has used olivers forever and my dad is a oliver diesel collector. being it is a 1550 it is a nice small size tractor with decent power, around the 45-55 maybe higher. i can't think of any real does or don'ts and you could do the basic checking.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jhack53,
The owner and I came to an agreement that was less than he wanted to, but....it is paid for and is now mine,....let the fun begin. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Congrats! When I retire I am gonna give myself a gift of one of these babies.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only had a few minutes to mess with it, I put a battery in it and it cranked over. I'll have to get fuel in it and bleed the system, I'll try and do more when I get back from South Carolina.

Jim

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
I always liked that style Oliver. Still want one. ;) Have fun with it. :D

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Never been on one but wouldn't pass up the opportunity at all. I love the smoothness of the Ollie six bangers and the few that Massey has too. Remember Korves Oliver in Waterloo Illinois will probably have anything you'll need. Waiting on the pics already...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I got to tinker on the Oliver a few minutes, changed the engine oil, put a battery in it and cranked it over, starter seemed to be dragging a little, so I tried to crank it over again and it started making a terrible noise from toward the rear of the engine, after digging a little deeper I found that the starter nosecone had broke off....the 2nd time, it had been brazed on and had broke again and fell down around the pressure plate rolling around while the engine was turning. I have the starter in the shop being repaired....a new one is hi-rent :eek: but my local guy quoted a new nosecone, brushes, and bushings for 65.00 I thought that was pretty good. So,.....the saga continues..... :D
I have a ? though, does this thing have telescopic steering? I know it has tilt steering, but that knob on the steering wheel reminds me of a hornbutton on an older cadillac. And it does'nt have 2 gearsticks, or any T/A so do you shove the gearstick down to shift into low range? hate to sound so goofy, but I'm in a strange world full of odd machinery......

Jim

Jim

·
Registered
316 Posts
Dad had a 1600 & my bro had a 1850, - bro still has the 1600. Should have tilt/telescope steering with that style knob so you can pull up when "standing" doing field work. Also have the over/under (left lever along hood) hydro tranny. Right lever along hood is throttle. Oliver trannys are a "forward section" (low reverse, 1st., 2nd., 5th.) for low gears, - "rearward gears" (high reverse, 3rd., 4th., 6th.) are road gears. Sounds like also you have the "the other levers" for lift system.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have bought a nice Waukesha 185GL gas power unit, it appears as though it will replace the diesel with no problem, can anyone give me any insight on problems I might run into? If it will interchange I can do repairs to the diesel and go ahead and be using the tractor too. I will put the diesel back in it once it's up and running, but I don't need another dead horse just setting around.

Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it's been a spell since I posted about the Oliver so, thought I would give an update. I got the engines switched out using the diesel flywheel and clutch, everything is all buttoned up and she running like a sewing machine, doing just what it was meant to do. The power steering works good, 3-point works good, as well as both aux hyd outlets. One thing I need to do is top off the hydraulic fluid, can anyone give me some advice on what fluid is compatible with the Oliver's?.

Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Been having trouble with photobucket but still trying to get it to work, hopefully this pic comes through, got O'l Ollie up and running and have played with it a little, as well as took it to the county fair.

Jim

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Dad getting the feel of the Ollie, I gotta say it runs real good "after I junked the champion plugs" tran works good as well as the clutch and 3-point.

Jim

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
Good to see you got the old Ollie up and running. :D
Still plan on rebuilding the diesel engine and putting it back ??

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Jim,
The engine swap looks like it went well for you. Good to see the tractor doing some work and being at the fair too. Having never been around one of these green machines, so I am not much help to you. But I think you have a good handle on it. Good thing that starter nose didn't break something! Was the front light with that log on the pick pole? Looks heavy.
Regards,
Chris

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Dave,
yes I'm going to go ahead and put the diesel back later on, and put the pyo back on the gas engine.
Sugarmaker that front end was real light actually, I was just trying to test the tractor in general and it has passed all the test so far, I can't really complain with it. Really like the sounds of that six cylinder too.... :D

Jim

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Looking like a good cheap workhorse. There's something about the smoothness of the shorter stroke and higher rpm of the big sixes...so much easier on your ears ain't it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts