Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday started warm and got up to almost 70 by midmorning the wind switched to the north and dropped almost 30 deg. by dark, cut wood all morning and into the afternoon, put the plow on broke the garden up, put the backhoe back on as counterweight to move some gravel that the folks who rent my grain bins dumped to keep the road up, moved and spread about half and along about dark I headed back to the shop, tired and cold running faster than I should have I went around the gravel pile in the road and hit a rut just right to bounc the backhoe,

the top link brackets on my MX5000 separated.

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Oh that ain't good. Looks like getting the broken bolts shouldn't be too bad to get out though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Man, that stinks. Looks like some grade 8's are in order. Those backhoes are heavy for sure.

·
Registered
341 Posts
what carnage! several broken bolts and split the plate in half! Looks like time for some re-engineering!

·
Administrator
4,349 Posts
OUCH!! that mustta been one big bump. :roll:

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Looks like a pain to fix. I guess that backhoe is a lot of leverage on that bracket. You may be able to weld a nut onto those broken bolts, let it cool completely, then back them out.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the broken bolts backed out by hand, the new brackets are $30 each plus shipping.
should be here thurs.
the rut was where I had driven across the road in muddy weather I hit it square and driving faster than I should have. What happens when I get in a hurry.

·
Super Moderator
8,534 Posts
BruceG34 said:
the broken bolts backed out by hand, the new brackets are $30 each plus shipping.
should be here thurs.
the rut was where I had driven across the road in muddy weather I hit it square and driving faster than I should have. What happens when I get in a hurry.
Sorry to see this Bruce, but "nobody got hurt" and it seems to be an easier repair than at first glance.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
that's crazy! ive done the same thing and the rear housing broke clean out! glad its gona be a cheap fix for ya

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bruce, looking at the top bolt that broke, it looks like it could have been cracked for a while as half the broken section is a darker colour and probably different texture. If this is the case, it would be worth while fitting longer higher tensile bolts and spacer washers under the bolt heads. This gives the bolt some elasticity. This principle is frequently used on large mining machinery where the bolts are highly loaded.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bolts are metric I don't really understand there grading system. may try the spacer washers though. I put the factory bolts back in it. I just need to be more careful and slow down.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea, that is good but notice the units in the mechanical properties is in different units and makes comparison impossible.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts