Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do ya'll secure your tractors for transport? Ratchet straps or chains and binders?

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Chains and binders here

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Chains & binders. In Illinois, if it's on rubber it's the law

·
Administrator
4,347 Posts
I use some of both. State laws vary. Ky is vague, just says "by appropriate devices" two on an item under 9000 lbs., and four on an item greater than.
I use chain on the front of a tractor and two nylon straps, one to each side of the back. I use the straps to tighten everything until the tires flatten some.
No binders unless the load is heavy enough to need four tie downs per state law. Then I use six tie downs. Chains binders and straps.
I've always been accused of using too much, but I have never, nor do I ever plan to loose something, or have something that I'm hauling shift on the trailer. ;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Equipment shifting on the trailor is no fun, take it from me! I was moving a large front end loader about ten miles so only used four chains and binders. One binder broke. The loader stayed on the low boy, thank Goodness!
There is no such thing as too many tie-downs. May look funny, but it'll stay on the wagon!

·
Administrator
4,347 Posts
bikerdave said:
Oh, I'd hate to think of what would have happened if I had used TWO chains and binders.
I wouldn't have got in the truck with ya. ;)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I use 4 chains and binders. Like Dave said, you can never have too many.

If you worry about scratching the paint, go to Tractor Supply (TSC) and get some of those car axle straps. Wrap them around the frame and hook your chain to it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I know you have seen one chain run from side to side, the unit pulled to tighten, and another chain on the other end with one binder. I hate to be anywhere near them!!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have moved exactly two tractors via trailer. A '48 C and a '51 Super C. Both traveled less than 20 miles, at speeds of less than 35 mph. Both were hauled on a 16' tandem axle trailer. In both cases five chains were used with three binders. The two without binders were tightened by moving the tractor until the chains were no longer slack, then the brakes were set, and the tractor left in gear. The three chains with binders were then put in place and tightened, two against the two without binders, and one pulling with them.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
The only thing I use a ratchet strap on is my lawnmower and golf cart and the occasional implement, but never on tractors. I have some thick "rags" I use under chains to protect paint.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have seen tractors chained bind wired on and every thing but more is not right.. If they are not in right place and pulling in right direction you could have 50 on and still not be safe.. I been hauling tractors and showing tractors since 1972 and have hauled short distances long distances and for me I use only 2 straps to hold a tractor on.. I like straps better than chains used big wreckers and guys unless you got some mighty good chains real good staps will hold it tighter. boompers I got 8 haven't used for years because chains and boomers on long distance seem to get loose. put your strap on drive about a mile or 2 and tighten them up and they be tight when you get there. I helped my Dad load and boom a side delivery rake on a flat bed 4 times and it had 3 chains and boomers and it came off that truck 4 times in the same place. last time he put it on he took bailing wire and wired the wheels to the bed and it stayed on..its all knowing where to cross that tractor and which way you want to hold forward or backard.. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts