Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm scratching my head on this one. Working on a 3444 International backhoe. Last summer the engine started overheating shortly after starting it up. It'd go up to 220 or so, then drop like a rock to 140. It would do this 2 or 3 times then level out. I tightened the fan belt, (wasn't really loose but....) Changed the thermostat, 185 degree
(it was just changed 2 years ago. but ya never know), Then antifreeze started coming out of the muffler! OOPPPSSS! Bad headgasket. Changed the headgasket and had the head checked. Also had the radiator preofssionally cleaned, (bertman) Put on new hoses and fresh antifreeze. Changed oil, retimed the ignition (story in itself :roll: . don't ask) Even had carb rebuilt. I did everything I could think of and it still gets up to 215 then cools back down a couple times before it levels out at 185. It never used to do this. What am I missing? :? :? (don't have much hair left to pull out.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Here's some more things to consider.
Water pump, exhaust restriction,low oil level,radiator cap.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
If it's has an electric temperature gauge and sending unit, that maybe the problem

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible that the impeller on the waterpump is slipping on the shaft until it warms up?
(manual guage on temp)

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
prwttsh said:
Is it possible that the impeller on the waterpump is slipping on the shaft until it warms up?
(manual guage on temp)

possible but highly unlikely, mabe air traped in the system. if theres a bypass hose take off the highest end then top of the rad. then reinstall the bypass hose. that should get any air out

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Im just guessing at this point, but Id ask if you checked the gauge and see if its working properly? Is/was it really overheating, or was the gauge telling you that?

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it's air since it did it before I changed the head gasket BUT I'll give it a try again.
The gauge could be bad, I'll get another one when I try the air thing.
It just seems strange that it happens when I first start it, then it runs normal temp. It usually does it twice before it settles down.
Forgot to mention it'll do the same thing whether the cap is on or not.
Thanks guys. I'm open to try anything. (maybe even a gallon of gas and a match :eek: ;) )

·
Registered
438 Posts
prwttsh said:
Maybe boil my blood pressure :lol:
Things like this can drive you nuts. Hang in there.

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't get a chance to work on it today. Worked on a vette instead. I'll get back to it next week I hope. Thanks guys. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Went and picked up a cheap temp guage today just in case. Never hurts to have an extra one on hand anyway. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think you guys helped me solve the problem. I ran it up to the main shop today to to try acouple of the ideas you guys had. Little did I know our hot water heater was set to 180 degrees! :shock: Not really, but the old temp guage said to was. HMMM Put the new guage in the tractor and it appears to be the problem. When it warms up and dries up alittle, I'll get it out and run her through her paces. Thanks guys for all your ideas. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts