Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very old John Deere corn planter that I am painting. On the fertilizer boxes there is a deal which says " John Deere Safety Fertilizer" Is there anyway I can save these decajs while I plant the fertilizer containers? Thanks For any ideas.

·
Administrator
4,317 Posts
Only way I know is to use painters tape to cover the decals while you're cleaning and spraying the cans green.
Painter's tape uses a very light adhesive and shouldn't ruin the decals.
Then use a clear enamel paint like "Rustoleum crystal clear enamel" over everything and seal the decals.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Use the painter's masking tape to hit the edges of the decal with a border. Then get some some paint paper used for taping off larger parts you don't want to paint and cut it to fit over the decal area just about 1/4" or more shy of the edge. Then use painter's tape to apply that paper and stick it to the painter's tape that you already put down on the edges of the decal.

If your decals have rounded edges and you want to get the best edge possible then you can get "fine line" tape at an autobody supply house. It's made for curving around edges and holding nice lines. You can use that around the edge of your decal, then painter's tape and the paper as described.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts