Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad use to can green tomatoes with a few chili peppers in them. We loved them with just about everything, buit alas, I cnat find the right recipe anywhere. Does anbody here have one by chance.

So far this year we have put up 22 quarts of red tomatoes, 17 quarts of dill pickles of various types, and 21 pints of pickles okra, my favorite. We have about 20 or 30 gallon bags of ear corn, and about the same of cream corn, wife has her 20 pint bags of squash, and I have about the same of okra for frying!! Best part, all of it either came from local farmers or it was free. Only thing we grow is tomaotes! Oh I forgot the cabbage, still have 30 or more pint bags of cabbage. Think Ill pull some out for supper tomight!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Sounding good John . you all are way ahead of us up here . My tomatoes just started producing enough to start caning them or making juice. Only got 21 qts of beans but soon have new row on. It was so hot here that the first beans just dried up to soon. All the can stuff will come in handy as they said because of the draught groceries will be much higher. Got a good start on corn frozen ,and got 2 rows soon to come on . Got lots of pickles put up . Made blackberry jam .. Little by little will make it.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ky wonder said:
this was a staple around here growing up, great with beans

http://southernfood.about.com/od/pickle ... 80810b.htm

Thats the one my wife uses when she make s chow-chow, but chops it more. Only thing anyone here can recall is small green tomaotes and some type of green/yellow chili pepper. The lasy Dad got the recipe from has passed on, and Mom doesnt know since this was after they divorced.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
It's usually done right before the first frost, and we always canned whatever was fixing to get killed.
It varied from year to year but that was part of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts