Antique Tractors Forum banner

Petcocks?

12K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  soundguy 
#1 ·
Can petcocks be added to a tractor that didn't come out with them?

Dad's little H was originally an electric start but when we got it the starter and a bunch of stuff was gone. It only being 12 hp it's not that hard for me to turn over but Dad can't hardly do it. He's had 2 neck/back surgerys and just can't hardly get in the stance to get the grip and spin with what compression it has.

Has anyone tried to put their own in or have it done? Can it be done?

#3 ·
Yea, on some of the newer tractors the petcock holes are there and have pipe plugs screwed into them, all you got to do is take the pipe plugs out and screw the petcocks in.
My A’s have the cocks on the bottom and my 60 has the pipe plugs on the bottom.

#4 ·
Thanks guys! I'll look tomorrow when I get home from work. I don't remember seeing anything like that under there but I wasn't exactly looking for them either. We'll see what I find.

#5 ·
JamieJ said:
Thanks guys! I'll look tomorrow when I get home from work. I don't remember seeing anything like that under there but I wasn't exactly looking for them either. We'll see what I find.
Over the years, the petcocks on my A were covered by a mixture of dirt and oil (that had been painted over at one time :? ). It just took a flash light and a putty knife to find them. :lol: One of them was plugged with carbon so I had to remove it and clean it out.

Even with an electric start tractor they can come in handy. If my tractor has sat for a while and the battery isn't completely up to snuff I'll open them up and that's usually all it takes to get her turn over and fire up. ;)

#6 ·
While i have no experience with the H, i have a 49 B that definately has the cocks under the belly. On this tractor theres a semi oval hole in the frame just in front of where the frame bolts to the crank case housing and the pet cocks are found there.

#7 ·
Jamie i went back and reread Your other post and see a lot more on whats going on. It would take machine tools and equipment to do the work.( I have not ever read of any one doing this job ). Were it fesible the machine work can be quite costly and realisticly speaking the engine would need tearing down. I don't know if You could find a decent surface to use a magbase drill, so it still makes the job a machine shop issue. Do by chance You guys have another tractor that has a belt pulley ???? He may try running from pulley to pulley with a belt for starting.

#8 ·
Jamie,

Way back when I was restoring 1920s vintage automobiles, there were a bunch of manufactures of compression release spark plugs. However, it now seems that the only ones available are the ones for Harley Davidson motorcycles. Just maybe you can adapt one of these plugs to your Model H.

Just a thought.

#10 ·
These are some awesome thoughts guys! The spark plug non fouler could be tried without harming anything that can't be undone. ;)

He's considered wrapping a rope around the flywheel and tying it to the dog's collar and then throw the tennis ball!!! :lol: :roll:

I did crawl underneath and never found any.

#12 ·
Have him park the tractor on a hill and bump start it. It can be exciting to get going, yet it can be done. Otherwise maybe consider a hand crank that engages to the flywheel. Or make a electric start (not that hard to do).

The Antifouler you may have to get custom made as the thread may not be common enough to buy off the shelf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.