Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we picked up another lil C today and its got some strange things goin on with it. from the numbers its a 39 and i thought all C's had foot pedal brakes but this one has what apeers to be factory hand brakes. i stoped on the way home and talked to an allis buddy and he told me that there was 100 or less tractors that came this way. so my ? is did allis realy put hand brakes on a C and about how many came that way?

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
Yes they did Bert, up to Serial number 5755 mid 1941 production year, had hand brakes.
I don't know, for sure, if foot brakes were an option or not before that, but I don't think they were.
Lots, and I'm willing to bet most, were changed to foot brakes when the changeover kit became available.
I know I would have changed them. Two hands aren't enough with foot brakes, workin' a tractor sometimes. ;)
Post us a photo when you get a chance. :D

G

·
0 Posts
Congrats. Makes sense what Dave said. Our 1940 B had factory hand brakes and those changed to factory foot brakes in 1941 so it all sounds about right to me.
Definately post some pics when possible.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I got 2 Cs and both have hand brakes. Ones a 41 and ones a 47. I did pick up a parts donor rearend but havent run the # to see what year it is. It does have foot brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok heres the pic's

its also got a one way baby hydralic ram hangin off the back that the foot pedal operates.

im goin to use the wide front off this one

and put it on the new one. im not shure what im goin to do with the nasty lookin one yet, but i do know i wont be restoring it. the new one's serial number is C 2315, it came with a brand new set of firestone's all around. for $1500 i dont think i could'v found a better deal

·
Administrator
3,957 Posts
You did good Bert, especally with the new rubber all around. ;) That serial number would make it an early '41 model.
1940 was the first year of the C production, and they only made 111 that year. S.N. 12388 ended '41 production year.

G

·
0 Posts
Man that is nice lookin. Ya did just fine Sir. Can't go wrong with that price. New tires and an ugly tractor would have been worth it.
Congrats Bert.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Good looking tractor. Never ran one with the hand brakes but I'd say it would be a handful in the run of a day. I say you done good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts