Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Back when my son-in-law was dating my oldest daughter, and was 17 at the time he said he wanted to learn how to weld. So we rounded up some old fuel tanks, scrap iron and some other parts and pieces and the tutorial began. My son, 10 at the time had already been burning a few rods on occasion and was ready to put our go-cart project on hold to let Mike learn how to weld. What you are looking at is a project 95% welded by two beginners...but I have to take credit for the layout. That way you know who to blame when you see something funky !!

Taking 1/3 off the bottom of the round tank and the top 1/3 off of the oval tank allowed us to lay out a larger tank kinda shaped like a light bulb. The oval fuel oil tank was a lot longer, so we sliced it in half and slid them together to match the 52" length of the round tank. The plan was to use the wider round area for the rotating hog and the narrower tank for the heat. The three smoke pipes have individual dampers and are adjustable to assist in evening out the heat distribution...more on that later.

A salvaged cast iron boiler door from a recent tear out at a local college was a perfect fit for the firing end. The small door was for combustion air to the gas boiler flame and does its same duty providing air to the briquets in the first third of the heat chamber. Note the 3 x 3 x 1/4" angle iron skids. No flats to fix. Hook on with a small tractor and move into location. Of course a couple years later I did fabricate a roaster-specific trailer for it, though its no longer on it now...(another story). Note the cooool three piece 90 degree elbows...the elbows and smoke pipes are fabricated out of 4" schedule 10 black iron pipe, scrounged from the trash hoppers.

A little handle and latch had to be made to open and lock the combustion door. Again, the majority of the air provided by this door is for the front of the firebox....

Note the 2" copper pipe at the bottom in the front ?? Well a blower assembly off of a computer mainframe slides into the end of the pipe and provides combustion air for the other 2/3rds of the firebox... We burned holes through the firebox and chipped out the firebrick and have individual ball valves on each to control the amount of air to their respective locations. Monitoring the temps on the ends of the firebox, a combination of adjusting the smoke pipe dampers and the ball valves for combustion air allows very even control across the hog. I found 325 degrees was the prime temperature, didn't matter the size of the pig or hog.

Salvaged 2"x6" firebrick from the same boiler lines the inside of the firepit and have kept the firebox from burning out for 16 years.

Guess maybe an inside view of the heat chamber would be good...Either the spit which is a 1 1/2" stainless steel shaft or the octagonal expanded metal cage rests in the two angle iron "bearings". They are lined with high density poly board so its not metal to metal contact.

We used some unistrut to mount the bearings,sprockets and gearhead. I don't remember the ratio but with a 1725rpm motor the hog rotates at 1.7 rpm's. Seems to be adequately slow in rotation. We stick a meat thermometer in one shoulder and in the opposite ham to monitor the core temp. Cook to anything above 165 degrees and it is done and ready to pull off the heat. The lard renders out of the fat and drips down into a tray under the hog filled with lava rocks to minimize flare ups...and a drain off the end of the tray drips the excess grease out the rear of the roaster.

I've got more fabrication pictures, but they are regular pictures and not digital...Shots of the boys doing their thing, sometimes scrunched up and welding inside the roaster and sometimes laying on the ground, sometimes grinding but all the time smiling !!! All in all quite a good project for a pair of 10yr old and 17 yr old boys !!!!

The biggest hog that was roasted so far was 238 pounds on the hoof. It cooked in approximately 7 1/2 hours at 350 degrees. Man...I'm feeling a good old roasting coming up maybe in the fall.... :D :D :D :D :D
 
G

·
Re: Pig Roaster...sure aint prett, but man it works !!

Why wait till fall. I'd do it this weekend and then again in the fall.
The boys done a wonderful job on the cooker. They also had a wonderful teacher as well. Anonther fine Missouri fabrication in the woods......................................................................Great Job
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,974 Posts
Re: Pig Roaster...sure aint prett, but man it works !!

Man that looks great!!!!!!!!!I can almost smell that pig roasting all the way here!!!!!!!!!Hey here's an idea how about an ATF reunion at your place?????? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
Re: Pig Roaster...sure aint prett, but man it works !!

I believe that would do a great roasting job ,but not saying much else because I will get the job throwing the sand bags :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh maybe no sandbags on this job :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Pig Roaster...sure aint prett, but man it works !!

petra79 said:
Why wait till fall. I'd do it this weekend and then again in the fall.
The boys done a wonderful job on the cooker. They also had a wonderful teacher as well. Anonther fine Missouri fabrication in the woods..................................................................Great Job
Thank you sir, for the compliment. It sure was a fun thing to do with the boys. Mike and Tyler have grown into very well rounded and hard working young men, not unlike your own... :cool: :cool: :cool: They always make me proud Ron.

Stephenscity said:
Man that looks great!!!!!!!!!I can almost smell that pig roasting all the way here!!!!!!!!!Hey here's an idea how about an ATF reunion at your place?????? :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wel l l l l l l llllllll...... There is just a funny addendum to the story...Now bear in mind an ATF get together over here would be a wonderful thing Mike....but....(enter Paul Harvey)...and now the rest of the story:

It got to where I was getting waaaayy too busy with the pig roasting. I did numerous ones for company picnics where I worked and several others. Even loaning it out necessitated a few hours of help to get everything going, preparing the pig/hog correctly, demonstrating temp control etc. Along came a Philipino friend of my brothers who wanted to buy it and I agreed only when he said he would just give it back to me when he goes back to the Philipines after his children's educations are completed. So to make a long story short, it is no longer in my possession. I got the chance to take these pictures for my files last weekend because we had to go pick it up to adapt the firebox a bit for the new owners. It is already done, and already sitting back in the yard of the Doctors house. I only had to help in the pick up and delivery, because he is mainly my brothers friend, he got elected to make the changes. So for now, no pig roasting for me.....and sadly not for a Missouri ATF reunion :( :( :( :( :cry: :cry: :cry:

And now....you know the REST of the story...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Pig Roaster...sure aint prett, but man it works !!

bettyp said:
I believe that would do a great roasting job ,but not saying much else because I will get the job throwing the sand bags :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh maybe no sandbags on this job :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Oh MissBetty I would NEVER think of making you work for your supper.... :lol: :lol: :lol: I would've saved the sweetest portion just for you... The tenderloins come out so phenomenally awesome that they defy description....but then again if you really ARE offering on those sandbags....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Heck, you did such a good job on the first one, maybe you can have another one whipped up in time FOR the reunion ;) :D :D
 
G

·
Heck with Wendall's skills and all the time he has on his hands now he could make another one AND 1/4 scales models for each guest that shows up :cool: :cool: :cool: :mrgreen:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
petra79 said:
Heck with Wendall's skills and all the time he has on his hands now he could make another one AND 1/4 scales models for each guest that shows up :cool: :cool: :cool: :mrgreen:
1/4 scale would be good for cooking hams :idea: :idea:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
prwttsh said:
petra79 said:
Heck with Wendall's skills and all the time he has on his hands now he could make another one AND 1/4 scales models for each guest that shows up :cool: :cool: :cool: :mrgreen:
1/4 scale would be good for cooking hams :idea: :idea:
:D :D :D You guys are KILLIN' me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hmmmmmmm... :? Hams, huh, ...not bad, not bad at all....

...and Ron...I don't seem to have all that much time anyway, you know the ' honeydo ' list... :( :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,485 Posts
Wendell if you know what is good for you, you best keep that Honey Do list real close to the top, if not # 1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,974 Posts
bettyp said:
Wendell if you know what is good for you, you best keep that Honey Do list real close to the top, if not # 1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Lady speaks with great wisdom ;) ;) ;)
 
G

·
missouri massey man said:
prwttsh said:
petra79 said:
Heck with Wendall's skills and all the time he has on his hands now he could make another one AND 1/4 scales models for each guest that shows up :cool: :cool: :cool: :mrgreen:
1/4 scale would be good for cooking hams :idea: :idea:
:D :D :D You guys are KILLIN' me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Hmmmmmmm... :? Hams, huh, ...not bad, not bad at all....

...and Ron...I don't seem to have all that much time anyway, you know the ' honeydo ' list... :( :(
Exactly - - The top of that honeydo list now has 1/4" scale models???? I'll let your bride have the first one, then I'll send ya my address :cool: :cool: :cool: (just try not to call me honey in public) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bettyp said:
Wendell if you know what is good for you, you best keep that Honey Do list real close to the top, if not # 1 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Point well taken ma"am. I will heed your sound advice. ;) ; :D :D

petra79 said:
.

Exactly - - The top of that honeydo list now has 1/4" scale models???? I'll let your bride have the first one, then I'll send ya my address :cool: :cool: :cool: (just try not to call me honey in public) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote][/quote]

....and I'll try to do just THAT...........Sweetie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (taking a breath) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
926 Posts
I really like Your lay out. Thats some real country ingenuity. I may one day build a hog smoker myself. I hope You wont mind my using Your ideas here in my building one. :lol: :lol:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top