Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike posted earlier that he had mater plants up about an inch tall. We planted a few last week, and they are pushing up fairly well. Mike, we're gonna have to protect them awhile if the weather predictions for the first two weeks of March hold true. :eek: :eek: :eek: ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
we have spanish onions leeks and statice just germinating wont start tomatoes till late march for late may planting i like a short thick plant to transplant 6 to 8 in and we bury it that top is just showing rest of plants started first of april with excrption of califlower brocille cabbage start plantings weekly with plantings till aug starting mid may if any body does cut flowers and doesnt do annual statice they should look at it for a cut dryed flower holds colour and lasts a couple years sells its self needs average water but lots of fert plant 20 to 24 in spacing as grows into big plant up to 30 inches tall just snap stems off and tie with elastic great for fall sales we do 3 or4 plantings 10 days apart great for wedding and harvest bouques

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Mine are happy here in the diningroom under the growlights ;) ;) :lol: :lol: Course I'm not sure Ann is as Happy as the Cabbage maters and broccolli :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Went and bothsome half runner beans and some corn
Zucchini seed. My brother in law from South Carolina called
Sunday and wanted some Mountain half runner seed sent to him.

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
petra79 said:
Haven't even thought about planting up here yet.
I waited about a week later than usual, and I am glad I did as cold as we have been. The feed store where I get most of my stuff has not had the fertilizer I want. He may have it this week, as the mill at the fertilizer plant was being rebuilt. Since he is about 30 miles away, I hope to get all we need in one trip.

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bettyp said:
I am surprised they dont have those seeds in SC Betty. We got 'em here, and they are in southwestern NC near the SC line.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
We will be starting our tomatoes and peppers this weekend hopefully to be ready for early May - hopefully it works! Good luck getting a hold of your fertilizer, it seems like the seed store up here is running a little behind right now as I've had difficulty getting access to a few things. Best of luck keeping those plants healthy - I'm sure that you all will be fine though :D

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Jim in NC said:
bettyp said:
I am surprised they dont have those seeds in SC Betty. We got 'em here, and they are in southwestern NC near the SC line.
Jim my sister lives in SC (rockhill) he got seed there last year , but seems to think our seed
is better here at our Southern States.

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Betty, I know that we can get bad seed, but I think more often it is the soil and weather conditions immediately after planting that determine germination as much as anything. Being too extreme in any way, too cool, too dry, or too wet will really mess things up.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Jim he had good beans and great vines it wasn't the bean he wanted .

·
Registered
461 Posts
My tomatoes are 6" tall and planted into their big tree pots. They are in the greenhouse right now, I move them to the garage when the weather warms and move them in and out as needed if frost is a problem. I have 2 raised beds with hoops that have been planted, lettuce, swisschard, peas, onions and such for salad gardens. I still have 3 cabbages under a hoop from last fall. We are not planting to can this year, so much left over that needs eaten. Plus we want to get away more and travel some this year. Son will take care of things when we are gone....James

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
James sounding good out your way. At lesat you going to have salad making .
That is always good to have . enjoy some traveling.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i havn't planted anything but pepers.. it's been so dry here.

we got 1 good day of rain on tuesday.. that's it.. UGH!

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Chris ,you need to plant something to eat with those peppers.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Chis peppers & tomatoes : is that all? :roll: :roll:

·
Super Moderator
8,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Don't forget the sweet corn :!: :!: :!: :lol:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts