Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am trying to help my father identify the tractor that was on our farm when he was a kid.

We have only one half-second shot of it on video in the early 50's. See the photo below. We know that it was gray, and we believe it was a Ford. Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
It's hard to tell from the blurry photo, but it's either a 2N or 9N Ford.
About the only discernible difference was the radius rods that held the front axle were an I beam style on the 9N and solid on the 2N.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,

That's a great help. What characteristic in the photo do you think make it a 2N or 9N?

Interesting to me is the rear wheels seem much deeper than any I've seen before on the old Fords.

·
Super Moderator
7,850 Posts
A buddy has an 8N bought new by his grandpa. He plants feed corn for his cows with it and a 2 row planter. He rotates his rear tires for planting to produce a wider stance and to help with proper row spacing. He cultivates his corn with a Farmall 100. Your rear wheels just may be mounted to give the tractor a wide stance.

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Dave,

That's a great help. What characteristic in the photo do you think make it a 2N or 9N?

Interesting to me is the rear wheels seem much deeper than any I've seen before on the old Fords.
The hood and fenders say it's an old Ford.
It's all grey and doesn't have a red belly.
How the front wheels are made and bolt together That changed on the 8N.
The rear wheel centers are high hat ( 2n/9n) not dished (8N).
The wheels are reversed for a wider stance. The mounting loops are offset to one side.
I grew up in the hills of KY and that wasn't uncommon to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Okay great information guys.

Another photo here, though, I don't think it offers any new clues that will help us narrow it down between the 2N & 9N.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have found either cast or stamped 2N or 9N on the main frame of the tractor some where on the left side (sitting in the seat)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts