Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked me up a couple new (old) toys. Got a new friend out here by the new house and he had these and gave me a great deal on them and some other items.
Both are Marlin semi-auto's in .22 cal. Top one is a Glenfield Model 60 and the bottom one is a Model 60SB (stainless).
We got these so the boys and I can have races with the walking targets we made. We also have a Winchester model 190 semi auto. That way we're all on even keel.................................................................................... Can't wait to try em out. One needs a butt plate and the other needs a magazine tube spring. All avail. items.

·
849 Posts
I have a butt plate from a Marlin 60 that's a little small for my Glenfield 60. PM me your address and I'll send it to you, it may fit your squirrel stock. Those are great little guns, I have a few 60's and a 99M1 which was Marlin's attempt to sell 22's to returning soldiers. They look like a little M1 carbine but have the same action as a model 60. Brownells or Numrich should have your mag tube spring. Love your targets!

My 99M1 and the 8N

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ernie. I know we'll have fun with them. Will send ya the address. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I have a Glenfeild just like that one. Never had a butt plate on it as far as I can remember, Dad bought it for me in the 70s. Only problem I ever had with it was using shorts in it. Wouldnt reload the chamber sometimes. Still, a good little rifle!

·
849 Posts
They like 22 lr high velocity rounds. I tried quiet 22's in mine and they would not cycle properly, not enough power to kick the bolt back.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John M said:
I have a Glenfeild just like that one. Never had a butt plate on it as far as I can remember, Dad bought it for me in the 70s. Only problem I ever had with it was using shorts in it. Wouldnt reload the chamber sometimes. Still, a good little rifle!
This one has had a butt plate on it. Holes in end. Also the barrel is stamped for LR only. May want to check that out. These have a few hang ups but my oldest went and tore the SB down and did a complete cleaning and its working fine now. Still have to clean the Glenfield.
Though I still am a bit partial to our 1958 Winchester Model 61 pump that was my PaPaw's. Got lotsa trigger time logged on that one.

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
My first firearm purchase was a 60 also. I still have it and it works great.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
petra79 said:
John M said:
This one has had a butt plate on it. Holes in end. Also the barrel is stamped for LR only. May want to check that out. These have a few hang ups but my oldest went and tore the SB down and did a complete cleaning and its working fine now. Still have to clean the Glenfield.
Though I still am a bit partial to our 1958 Winchester Model 61 pump that was my PaPaw's. Got lotsa trigger time logged on that one.
Well dang! Never noticed that!! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Much better than the old single shot .22 that I had. Don't remember the make, but it had a flat sided stock. It wasn't chambered for Long Rifle shells, just shorts and longs. I did shoot a few long rifle shells, but the bolt wouldn't extract the casing, had to pry it out with a knife. The bore was pretty worn si it wasn't very accurate.

Also had an old H&R single shot.410 shotgun that was chambered for 2.5" shells that were not readily available. Dad drilled out the chamber, but it was still just a little bit short for 3" shells as it blow off part of the paper casing when a 3" shell was fired. Don't recollect what happened to either of those guns, but they might still be at the farm. It's been a lot of years since I've seen them.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've also got PaPaw's very first gun. .410 single shot. Still in pretty close to original condition with the original cloth gun case it came in. Sweet gun.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Model 60's are great. Mine is a tack driver.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I still have my 2 grandfathers guns Both single shots 1 12g and one 22 both are priceless to me.
The 12 ga has notches but not sure what that means :? :lol: :lol: But do know he ran shine out of the mtns to DC.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stephenscity said:
I still have my 2 grandfathers guns Both single shots 1 12g and one 22 both are priceless to me.
The 12 ga has notches but not sure what that means :? :lol: :lol: But do know he ran shine out of the mtns to DC.
Might be for the stills the Sherrif made him shoot holes in :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
petra79 said:
Stephenscity said:
Might be for the stills the Sherrif made him shoot holes in :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Or maybe for the deputies that tried???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
Stephenscity said:
petra79 said:
Stephenscity said:
Or maybe for the deputies that tried???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wonder ifn he was just testin' the sharpness of his pocketknife :?: :idea: :eek: :lol:

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ernie N Ky said:
I have a butt plate from a Marlin 60 that's a little small for my Glenfield 60. PM me your address and I'll send it to you, it may fit your squirrel stock. Those are great little guns, I have a few 60's and a 99M1 which was Marlin's attempt to sell 22's to returning soldiers. They look like a little M1 carbine but have the same action as a model 60. Brownells or Numrich should have your mag tube spring. Love your targets!

Thanks Ernie. Got it today. Little long on top but nothing a lil trimmin won't fix. Just using it for the target races.

Much appreciated Sir.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts