Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well bought a tractor tonight :? Normally I'd be happy as can be,but this tractor is just going to be used for parts some day down the road. I got it off of a neighbor down over the hill from me. It needed some work years ago and they parked it about 10 years ago. It didn't look to bad then. I offered to buy it long ago,but it was one of them stories "Im going to fix it up some day.. Well was talking to them last night and we got to talking about it. I felt bad for it They told me to give them an offer if i had any interest in it. I said $100 and they said it's yours. The hood is in great shape except for some rust starting to pop up. There are several other things that can be used too. I even can use a couple of things on the 2N I'm rebuilding now. My 2N never had lights so i can at least use the ones of the 8N

It came with a brush hog as well. It's not really any good. If anyone wants it they can come and get it :lol: We had to drop it off so we could get the tractor on the trailer. That was a job in its self. Things were so rusted. the drive shaft would not slide off the PTO. We beat on it for a good 30 minutes or so. All but one tire had air in it. Took an air can and they all held enough air to get it on the trailer. Strapped it down and and flew home cause there was a big storm coming. Got home just in time. We could of pulled the tractor home,but we would have to go up some pretty big hills and when your towing something with no breaks its just better to go get the trailer..

Safe at it's new home

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
I would buy those for a hundred bucks all day. You did well :D

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Very nice buy

·
Registered
530 Posts
$100? Was there a gun involved? And even willing to throw in the brushog? Wow! Some deal. Even the scrap man would have paid more for the complete tractor.
Looks like a '48 or '49. I wouldn't be so hasty to start stripping her down. Sure maybe take the parts you need but it's a complete tractor. Without doing and thing major why not see if you can get it going. Every farm needs a beater to get some of the chores done.
Good luck with the new tractor.

Kirk

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kirk-NJ said:
$100? Was there a gun involved? And even willing to throw in the brushog? Wow! Some deal. Even the scrap man would have paid more for the complete tractor.
Looks like a '48 or '49. I wouldn't be so hasty to start stripping her down. Sure maybe take the parts you need but it's a complete tractor. Without doing and thing major why not see if you can get it going. Every farm needs a beater to get some of the chores done.
Good luck with the new tractor.

Kirk
I think it is a 48 Kirk. I looked it up for them years ago,but now I can't even see any of the numbers on the block. I'll have to re read all of my books to freash up my mind on how to tell what it is.. I think there is a way by looking at the clutch linkage. Anyway I am not in a hurry to take it apart.. I've been thinking the last couple years of building a V8 Ford and thinking maybe this could help me out some. I just got it because I hate to see something go bad and have no use what so ever

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today we washed all that green gunk off of the hood. It was sitting under a tree. I can't believe how good it made the hood look!! :lol: Its now inside so won't need to worry about any more water damage

·
Registered
133 Posts
Everything might be rusted, but at least everything is there. It doesn't have to be pretty to run good. It would be a good parts tractor, but instead of having one that looks like it's missing half of the tractor, you'd have an almost complete one (minus the headlights you want to steal) sitting around, and maybe someday you'll want to fix it up. But hey, what do I know. If you want if for parts, go for it. If you steal the lights, it will run with out them and something tells me that this one won't be needing them for a little while anyway.....

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Something I forgot to say is this tractor had some kind of an issue when it was parked. It had pretty bad miss in it. So its not going to start up and run fine. I didn't even see if the engine is locked up yet. I remeber the last time i helped them work on it we had to bend the points just to get a good gap in it. The cam lobe was shot. Also after they got it i helped them change the oil and it looked like muddy water. It's been a pretty sad story for this poor tractor. I thought I'd never own a parts tractor because I like to save them all,but this thing would probably be best if it could help out and be a donar tractor :(

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
For a hundred dollars you can't go wrong either way. I have no doubt you could make it do well with some work but with the price of parts these days its nice to have some when something breaks and besides you always have the project if you want it and anything you have used you would have had to bought anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Years ago I went with my dad to look at a big block Suburban for towing his trailer that was real low priced due to there was a wicked knock - sounded like a wrist pin or con rod bearing. We took a look, picked it up and took it over to his uncles house (we were a couple hours from home). After making a trip to the local auto wreckers we were able to have it purring sweet as could be for $60 and a couple of hours work - the noise was a broken harmonic balancer and cracked crank pulley - drove her home later that night. I got it from him when he was finished with it about eight years later and used it for a couple more. What several people had diagnosed as needing at least a short block turned out much easier - sometimes things get missed, always worth a look.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
ditto that.

sometimes I think things go cheap as people just don't want to fix them.

that farmall C I bought.. i got cheap.. had no battery, and the front crank seal was wallowed out of the timing cover so bad that oil literally poured out when it was running.

a 13 $ seal and 20$ front end gasket set and gasket sealer.. plus a few hours wrench time ( not counting the 70$ cast iron / interference fit crank pulley i broke taking it off as the prev owner used jbweld on it when it went back together!!! :) )

·
Registered
530 Posts
Years ago I called on a ferguson And the owner said before you come I must be honest with you, it runs but the engine knocks. I was buying for the many good parts it had on it and it also had a back blade with it for $300. I didn't start it up there just winched it on the trailer. A couple months when by before I got a chance to look at it. Came to find out it wasn't the engine at all. It was the hydraulic pump that was knocking. I could have rebuilt the pump but had another one laying around so I just switched them out. Other than some wiring issues it ran like a top. Who knows how many buyers the PO scaired away by telling them it had an engine knock.

Kirk

·
Registered
269 Posts
That is a great buy any way you look at it. I hate the thoughts of a parts tractor too but some of them have to be. I also wouldn't rule out the brush hog, they are very basic and looks don't have much to do with how they work. Mine is homemade and really ugly but it works as well as a pretty factory model. On the other hand it is complete and maybe with a little tinkering?????

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dad and i were looking the old 8N over last night and are thinking we may try to save it and not use it for parts.. It will need a full resto,but the more we look at it it's tugging on our hearts :lol: I think the biggest expence will be the rims,tires,and wheels. The rims are so far gone and it looks like i'ts eating away at the wheel it's self :(

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
rims are realitively chap. centers are tough, but can be found reasonable.. though mght be expensive to ship.

reuber.. well.. it's expensive.. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
A good pair of hat rims could cost a good chunk of change but if you go with the 6 lop they aren't bad to buy new. Rubber's not too bad if you shop around. Probably cheaper to go with 12.4's than 11.2's Center can be had used. i might even have some. Sometimes that CalC will eat thru the rim and center disc if not caught in time.

Kirk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts