Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I'm not looking to start a war or anything like that....BUT I had tractor collector tell me that he didnt consider vertical two cylinder John Deeres REAL John Deeres. He opined that the original "Poppin Johnny" nick name was for horizontal two's only....he even OWNS an MT and doesnt consider it a REAL JD, in his opinion. What do you all think? I know there was some scuttle in 1960 when the fours came out but was there personal issues with Vertical two's?

·
Registered
26 Posts
A Deere is a Deere. From the 1917 All Wheel Drive to the 2013 9R series.

I don't tend to give much credence to folks like you described. These types are often looking to be elitists or pot stirrers...or both. I tend to just smile, nod and move on to something else. There's not much use in arguing with them.

·
Administrator
3,960 Posts
I agree. And as far as the "Poppin' Jonny" goes, I don't care if you stand those engines on their heads,
they're still gonna go: Pop.....ka-chunk, ka-chunk....Pop...ka-chunk, ka-chunk...Pop Pop.... ka-chunk..... when they idle. ;)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Iffen it's green with yaller wheels, it's a John Deere! Two cyls laying down, or standing, or six cyls it's a John Deere!!
There are all sorts of elitests, all wrong! A V-Rod is really a Harley even if it is water cooled!

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
DerickS said:
Now I'm not looking to start a war or anything like that....BUT I had tractor collector tell me that he didnt consider vertical two cylinder John Deeres REAL John Deeres. He opined that the original "Poppin Johnny" nick name was for horizontal two's only....he even OWNS an MT and doesnt consider it a REAL JD, in his opinion. What do you all think? I know there was some scuttle in 1960 when the fours came out but was there personal issues with Vertical two's?
Well when that line of thought is used, I guess John Deere is no longer in business.
He probably doesn't like those with the Oliver engines in them ;)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
4imnotright said:
DerickS said:
Well when that line of thought is used, I guess John Deere is no longer in business.
Oliver engines!? Uh Oh we are entering uncharted territory for me when it comes to that :?: :?:

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
DerickS said:
4imnotright said:
DerickS said:
Oliver engines!? Uh Oh we are entering uncharted territory for me when it comes to that :?: :?:
Sorry Derick. It's a local joke. Back in the 50's John Deere hired a couple of engineers away from Oliver to develop the 4 & 6 cylinder engines for the 3010 & 4010's, hence Oliver engines in a John Deere. Will get a rise out of the deere fanatic's around here.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh i got ya! i did not know that. thanks :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts