Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were at the farm yesterday and got the last of the garden done. Dug the potatoes and now were done. Not to good of a yield but we wound up with about 200lbs so that will some home grown for the winter anyway. we had five weeks of no rain at the garden and it hurt.

Used a middle buster plow for the job and it did pretty well. Sure did save a lot of digging anyhow.

Never had any plows like that up here but went to a sale a few years ago and the fellow had a bunch of quick hitch equipment he had brought back from North Carolina in the past and it was in it. I had to work so dad went to the auction and pcked up a set of quick hitch harrows for me for 20 dollars after that there was a set of 2x12 plows, 4 foot bushhog, bog harrows and the middle buster plow all quick hitch and nobody would bid so the auctionier grouped them all togather along with a set of mule harrows and mowing machine. Dad bid 10 dollars and got them all. I told him from now on he could go for me and I would just stay home.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Boy that sure beat the way we always had to do it me on a single bottom horse plow and Dad on the tractor,Hum :lol: :lol: Guess with the weather ya'll had they didn't turn out too bad. Know you're glad to have em out of the ground.

·
Super Moderator
7,861 Posts
Gordon, I need your dad to go to a few auction sales for me :!: :lol:

We have a 3 point hitch potato plow. I have used the Super A or 140 layoff plow to do the job. Also, we have used a horse drawn layoff plow with a sweep added pulled with a tractor to get them up.

·
Administrator
3,962 Posts
Stephenscity said:
Boy that sure beat the way we always had to do it me on a single bottom horse plow and Dad on the tractor,Hum :lol: :lol: ...........
Mike, your Dad mustta been kin to mine...... or just had the same equipment. ;) Sounds too familiar. :roll:
Gordon, How many pounds of seed did it take to make that 200 pounds of taters?
I planted four pounds of seed and harvested about 40 pounds of taters this year.
Maybe enough to get my bride and I through the Winter. :?

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear you guys on the tools. We always used a spade shovel growing up and on a lot bigger tater patch.

Dave you did a hole lot better than us. Put out 40lbs but from the time they were about half knee high till way after bloom we had no rain. Hopefully next year they will do better.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I dug some of mine today too. Its a little early compared to some years but I had time. Yield not too bad so far and it is the driest ground I have ever dug. The potatos are almost clean enough to eat right out of the ground. I did them by hand with a hoe. Got 12 pails so far (20 litre pails) and figure I might be half done. Should be enough to get me and the cats through the winter and then some.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts