Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As muddy as the garden is, and rain in the forecast every couple of days, :roll: I planted some tomato plants in 3 gallon pots. With the garden worked, it's wayyy too muddy to even try to walk in the garden. I used large enough pots so I don't have to worry about transfering to larger pots if the ground conditions don't improve enough soon to put them in the garden. Got to have them home grown tomatoes :D

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
I was just thinking yesterday, what I got planted last Thursday has been in mud since.
Three inches last weekend, another half inch Tuesday night, and an inch and a half yesterday into this morning.
Still drizzling. Transplants are starting to yellow a bit. Not a sign of any seeds popping this morning.
Good thing is the weeds aren't growing either. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,584 Posts
BigDaveinKY said:
I was just thinking yesterday, what I got planted last Thursday has been in mud since.
Three inches last weekend, another half inch Tuesday night, and an inch and a half yesterday into this morning.
Still drizzling. Transplants are starting to yellow a bit. Not a sign of any seeds popping this morning.
Good thing is the weeds aren't growing either. ;)
That sums it up here too Dave. When the ground dries enuff to work, it will have a hard, beat down crust on it too. :(

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
Jim, You've got a lot more clay in your soil than I do. This place is sandy loam it don't get the hard crust too bad.
Dad's place was red clay and sandstone, with some big limestone chunks usually found by the plow just under the surface.
That rotary hoe you have for you're cultivator would have come in handy there. We had one on the end of a stick that you
had to keep shovin' to make work. We used that to bust the crust off rows when the rain packed it down so the hard seeds couldn't sprout. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,584 Posts
Dave, we had close to an inch of hard rain last night. I went down to the garden just before dark and dusted the broccoli and cabbage. Normally, I woulda mired down several inches, but not today with all the hard rain we have had within the last week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts