Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my dad just bought a 1945 LA propane at a sale today, sorry I don't have pics yet. We were wondering if the propane is factory or if added later, the tank sits long ways instead of cross ways, and the hood is a little rough around the tank. The serial is 4917346LA, our collection is all massey harris , so I have to get up to speed on JI Case.
thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
farmerchad, welcome to the forum! Please take a minute to visit the "Around the Campfire" forum and introduce yourself! So, LP equipment was introduced in 1948. Your LA having the tank in line is most likely a conversion done by a farmer or LP distributor. Factory LP tractors had the tank sideways, and I know of a few that were dealer converted with OEM parts in the 1950's. Back then you could order a conversion package to switch fuels. My LA is a 1944 and was a kerosene tractor originally then later upgraded to the LP head and manifold and M&W pistons. On pump gasoline it puts out around 90hp. If your tractor functions on the existing setup I would clean up the hood and the other conversion parts and leave it as is. CASE and Massey Harris were practically built across the street from each other and share parts on the 1940-50's models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully the upload of pics works, it's a little rough, but engine runs pretty good. Seller claimed it makes about 76 HP, has M&W pistons, new propane regulator and carb.
Can't figure out what the two pipe stubs coming out of the oil pan are, and also cannot find an oil dipstick anywhere :?:

·
Registered
395 Posts
farmerchad said:
Hopefully the upload of pics works, it's a little rough, but engine runs pretty good. Seller claimed it makes about 76 HP, has M&W pistons, new propane regulator and carb.
Can't figure out what the two pipe stubs coming out of the oil pan are, and also cannot find an oil dipstick anywhere :?:

if its like my case there is no dipstick the plugs are for checking oil level top is full bottom add

·
Registered
341 Posts
looks likea nice old LA! corncob is right, the 2 plugs on the side are for checking the oil level just like on a Farmall. There is also a screen inside the 3 bolt plate on the other side that needs periodic cleaning. Are you going to leave it on LP or switch it back to gas? Looks just like a conversion a friend did many years ago to a W9 McCormick when he worked for Thermogas. Our LA is a 1944. Looks like a monster on 20" front tires! If you get a minute, go out and measure how tall your tractor is to the top of the radiator tank. At our local show last year I had ours out there and it was much taller than the other 2 there. Mine is about 5 feet tall with 7.50-20 fronts and 18.4-30 rears.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Propane La looks like a good tractor and would deffinetly make a good power unit for the sawmill or large planer either one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1031d, we can't decide to leave it as is or switch back to gas, it runs really nice on the propane, I guess it depends if we want it to be totally original or not. The straight lines of the gas version would look nicer, but I imagine finding an original gas tank could be fun. I think if I clean up the edges of the hood before painting it will look fairly good. The tires are 7.50x18 front, 16.9x30 rear, stands about 57" at front of radiator.
What year did they go to the two tone paint? I've seen tractors painted both ways, not sure what is factory or not.
Thanks. Chad.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Chad, the 2 tone paint was never factory. They often painted it that way after rebuild so they could sell them. An LA setup on LP or high compression gas will out pull a 500, 600, or 900. I know guys who traded their LA in on a 500 only to swap the dealer back. LA's are 403cu stock and the diesels were 377cu. As for the LP on yours I'd clean the conversion up and leave it. It's not too hard to find a tank, I know several guys around the country with parts tractors. You could add fillers under the tank to make the transition smoother like the factory ones had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts