Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so excited about recently purchasing my first antique tractor, a 1947 Farmall A. I was wondering what different types of attachments folks have hooked up to the Farmall A PTO, given there is not a 3 point attachment on the Farmall A. Has anyone found success with something similar to a pull behind mower like a bush hog? Trying to get an idea of what attachments I can potentially pursue for the A.

· Registered
15 Posts
You can get a kit that will add 3 point capabilities to your tractor.
1 example: https://www.steinertractor.com/IHS3...F9N_Jsq6q6O2V3chm86bMvJ-jZpTGzDUaAuBmEALw_wcB

Here is an example of a brush-style mower for the belly: Farmall Model A belly mower options? - Yesterday's Tractors

Also there are the old sickle mowers that were made for these tractors, some hooked up behind, and some went on the belly. These require a little more maintenance, and are made for fields, not brush. some the sickle mowers go on behind, and some go under the belly.

· Super Moderator
9,092 Posts
An A-16 rear sickle bar mower, a stationary wood saw, a belly sickle mower as shown above, and a belly finish mower come to mind.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the ideas! Excited to have my first old tractor and cannot wait to put this thing to use. Definitely building a mini hay wagon for kiddos, and will see how much I want to leave this restored as is or add to it. That sickle bar mower would be great around my pond and I never thought of a stationary wood saw.

· Super Moderator
9,092 Posts
An A can pump water, power a grain auger, and grind molasses cane too. Also I have seen one hooked to a tobacco stick mill.

Tire Wheel Tread Automotive tire Garden tool

Clothing Jeans Trousers Wood Sawhorse

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Plant

Tire Wheel Tractor Vehicle Motor vehicle

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tractor Vehicle

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great to see those applications. This is making my engineering brain just want to come up with designing something. Given we own a pond, I could see the water pump application being of use.

· Registered
10 Posts
I am so excited about recently purchasing my first antique tractor, a 1947 Farmall A. I was wondering what different types of attachments folks have hooked up to the Farmall A PTO, given there is not a 3 point attachment on the Farmall A. Has anyone found success with something similar to a pull behind mower like a bush hog? Trying to get an idea of what attachments I can potentially pursue for the A.
Those tractors also had plows and cultivars.

· Registered
5 Posts
These offset engine tractors were designed to do one thing extremely well, and that is pulling a plow. Right wheels down in the furrow, throttle up and let 'er rip all the way to the end. All day long, pause only for lunch and fuel. The rest of the year, they performed utility tasks around the farm, cultivator was popular, pulling wagons, sickle bar or brush mower, powering grain augers or elevators, belt pulley for fanning mill or saw blade, whatever the engine was up to. You'll find a lot of stuff available.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts