Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need sugestions on how to get the steeringwheel off my 8n. Have soaked in PB and tried every trick I know. Tried wiggling and pulling,tried beating with rubber hammer,tried blocks of wood and pinch bars,Thing will not budge. Was told not to use a puller on it that it could damage the spindle,only thing I haven,t tried is to heat it but didn't know if that could hurt anything. Anybody have any ideas?
Thanks
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I've always used a puller. Just make sure it don't hit the threads. It usually takes a day or two when they're stuck bad. I put the puller on and put some tension on it. Keep spraying. Every 4 - 5 hours I turn the nut on the puller just a tad. One of them times it'll pop. Takes time. Just remember to put anti-seize when re-assembling it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
petra79 said:
I've always used a puller. Just make sure it don't hit the threads. It usually takes a day or two when they're stuck bad. I put the puller on and put some tension on it. Keep spraying. Every 4 - 5 hours I turn the nut on the puller just a tad. One of them times it'll pop. Takes time. Just remember to put anti-seize when re-assembling it.
Makes sence to me wonder why they would say not to use a puller???? Confused me but that ain't hard :lol: :lol: Think I'll try a little heat tomorrow :?: :?: :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,009 Posts
Stephenscity said:
petra79 said:
I've always used a puller. Just make sure it don't hit the threads. It usually takes a day or two when they're stuck bad. I put the puller on and put some tension on it. Keep spraying. Every 4 - 5 hours I turn the nut on the puller just a tad. One of them times it'll pop. Takes time. Just remember to put anti-seize when re-assembling it.
Makes sence to me wonder why they would say not to use a puller???? Confused me but that ain't hard :lol: :lol: Think I'll try a little heat tomorrow :?: :?: :cry:
Try to use a three jaw puller if possible Mike, and while it's under tension give a firm tap on the end of the puller bolt occasionally. That shock sometimes works wonders. There are also "hub pullers" that utilize (4) 5/16 set screws that attach to the outside of the pulley, gear or steering wheel hub, but they invariably dig into and damage the outside of the hub. 1) a little PB blaster/kroil. 2) a little tension. 3) an occasional tap while under fresh tension. 4) a little heat. 5) a lotta patience. :D :D
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
missouri massey man said:
Stephenscity said:
petra79 said:
I've always used a puller. Just make sure it don't hit the threads. It usually takes a day or two when they're stuck bad. I put the puller on and put some tension on it. Keep spraying. Every 4 - 5 hours I turn the nut on the puller just a tad. One of them times it'll pop. Takes time. Just remember to put anti-seize when re-assembling it.
Makes sence to me wonder why they would say not to use a puller???? Confused me but that ain't hard :lol: :lol: Think I'll try a little heat tomorrow :?: :?: :cry:
Try to use a three jaw puller if possible Mike, and while it's under tension give a firm tap on the end of the puller bolt occasionally. That shock sometimes works wonders. There are also "hub pullers" that utilize (4) 5/16 set screws that attach to the outside of the pulley, gear or steering wheel hub, but they invariably dig into and damage the outside of the hub. 1) a little PB blaster/kroil. 2) a little tension. 3) an occasional tap while under fresh tension. 4) a little heat. 5) a lotta patience. :D :D
Thanks for the reminder Wendel. I also used the 3 jaw puller and yes the tap on the end with a hammer has popped them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heated it up this morning Got a bigger hammer and two good wacks off she came :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Think I found out why not to use puller if possible the metal at the end of the wheel is trim, thin and dosn't look like could take much force infact the old one was really rusted up. They make a puller for it but special order and if ya arn't doing it for a living not practical. Thanks Greased the new one up real good just in case!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
the only reason i can think of not to use a puller .
is because it could swell the end of the shaft .
and it can swell the shaft .
i put the nut on flush to the end of the shaft in case it goes bad .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,499 Posts
if you ever have a junk steering wheel.. you can cut the hand ring off and torch and bend the spokes into 3 hooks and make a goot puller out of it.. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
I need to pull my steering wheel off my 2n, did you just heat it up and while wacking it with a hammer did you just pull on the steering wheel by hand ?
Thanks for a reply, Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
dave2n said:
I need to pull my steering wheel off my 2n, did you just heat it up and while wacking it with a hammer did you just pull on the steering wheel by hand ?
Thanks for a reply, Dave
Dave I soaked it for a couple days with PB and took a 5lb hammer and just really gave it a couple really good wacks. Man it flew off and almost hit me in the head :lol: :lol: :lol: .I tried the pulling up on it but think I'm too old for that. It wouldn't budge!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
530 Posts
Years ago I made a gizmo with two metal plates for pulling steering wheels. It works pretty good but when I to use it a couple of weeks ago to pull the steering wheel off one of my cubs and couldn't find it in the barn, not surprizing. So I used a 3 tooth gear puller. This bugger took me about 4 days to get it off. soaking with Blaster and a little hammer tapping and tighten up on the puller eavy time I walk by. After about two days it finally popped and then they usually come right off. It took about 2 more day of soaking and tapping and about 4 more pops before it was conpletely free.

Kirk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
Now I feel almost guilty. I have had a 9n for about 18 months now and shortly after I started using it last year the steering went very stiff. Thought the box had gone bad or lost a bearing but as a last test I wanted to oil the top bearing just under the wheel. Grabbed the decorative nut by hand to judge the size and felt movement so I took it and the wheel off without tools. Found a bit of engine oil, oiled the bearing and put the wheel back on the same way. Took longer to find the oil than it did to do the rest and it fixed it right up.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top