Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what your thinking.... No, I'm not switching colors or losing my mind, just thought I would add a little color to the family. I called a friend in Indiana to see how he was doing, well during conversation he spoke of a couple tractors "JD" that he was going to sell, as it ends up I quess I'm buying a 1947 slant dash long hood, he fired it up while on the phone and it only spun a couple times and fired off delivering that famous John Deere sound, he told me it runs great, brakes are good, tires are good shape, 12 volt charging works, has good sheetmetal, and has 3-point lift which he took off but comes with it,if I can get the time this weekend I'll go after it...10hr trip both ways. Is there any precautions I should watch for on this model? I'm totally new to John Deere...and yes there will be pics..lol

Thank
Jim

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm thinking my next one will be a slant dash A with the rounded fenders. Grandpa had one and I want one just because he had one. I will be waiting for the pics! :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
The clutch drive was loose on mine and torn up the crankshaft snout....NOT a cheap fix...oh and everything JD green is made of gold :lol: Good luck and have fun :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Lovesthedrive said:
Forgive me, I now know the difference of style and not, but slant dash? Is that like the predecessor to the 50 and 60 series?
Ist the electric start option....they extended the hood towards the driver with extra panels to hide the battery and slanted the gauge face

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you are correct DerrickS, with the extension of the hood for the battery they tilted the dash upward to allow the operator to clearly see the guages. The man I'm buying it from used it for a couple years brush-hogging, then a man wanted to buy it without the 3-point so he took it off.....and as luck would have it, the man never returned, but at least he still has the 3-point and comes with the tractor.The tractor is in Vincennse, Indiana so if I go this weekend I'm going to be doing a lot of driving..... :D :eek:
Thanks again
Jim

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
CASENWV said:
I think you are correct DerrickS, with the extension of the hood for the battery they tilted the dash upward to allow the operator to clearly see the guages. The man I'm buying it from used it for a couple years brush-hogging, then a man wanted to buy it without the 3-point so he took it off.....and as luck would have it, the man never returned, but at least he still has the 3-point and comes with the tractor.The tractor is in Vincennse, Indiana so if I go this weekend I'm going to be doing a lot of driving..... :D :eek:
Thanks again
Jim
I like our 47 slant dash and my youngest loves it but I have to admit its been the most troublesome tractor we have so far and stuff is very pricey. I ran it this weekend and parked it in the yard....I went to restart it yesterday to put it away and it wouldnt run....broken rotor :shock: How did that happen sitting still??? I think its just going to be rocky for a while :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Lovesthedrive said:
Forgive me, I now know the difference of style and not, but slant dash? Is that like the predecessor to the 50 and 60 series?
Hence the term "slant dash". The model B was available like this for something like 2 years. And the A's were from the early-mid 40's before the new design came out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
As a side note 47 was the A changeover year from the slant dash style to the late styled. I have what I call a 47-1/2 A, it has the battery under the seat (came with two 6v to make 12v), flat dash, starter under the tractor, steering wheel on a post, etc... I got a slant dash B buts its awaiting my retirement for some extreme TLC.
I have an operators manual in PDF for the late A that I can email, most things are the same or similar enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts