Antique Tractors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting pushed around a bit while bushhogging with my new-to-me 640, I put on an overrunning clutch. Since this thing is several inches longer than the original pto, I was wondering what some of you have done about your pto cover. Leave it off? What? Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
We had a ORC on our 640 and just never put a cover on. Only ran the PTO when something was hooked to it.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
ditto that.

since you onle need the pto running to use pto devices ( unlike the old N series that needed the pto for hyds, ) you can leve it off when un needed.

fir thost that simply must have a pto cover then you have 2 good options. 1, buy an orc that uses a quick release collar instead of a pin on type... or, remove the 4 bolts holding the pto bearing carrier in and put in long studs.. then add nuts to hold the carrier on.. leaving some stud exposed. not get some pipe, add a cap to it, weld on 4 tabs using angle iron, so they slip over the studs.. then add nuts...

soundguy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your responses. I'm just going to leave the cover off. Like you said, the pto doesn't turn unless it's engaged. Funny thing about this is that I've used this same bushhog for years behind a '48 John Deere A and never had any problem getting it stopped quickly with and without disengaging the clutch. Put it behind this 640, though, and it was amazing how far the tractor wanted to go before the blade stopped turning. Only thing I can figure is it must be the difference in the weights of the tractors. The A was bigger and I had the tires loaded up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts