Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is and does the voltage stabilizer on a 3 cyl. xooo series do. Mine apparently quit working as my gauges both quit working.
Someone told me it's like a voltage regulator that "chatters" to keep an average of 6Volts to the gauges. Correct :?:

·
Administrator
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody know :?:

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Dave, I have no idea but found this definition if this helps?

Many simple DC power supplies regulate the voltage using a shunt regulator such as a Zener diode, avalanche breakdown diode, or voltage regulator tube. Each of these devices begins conducting at a specified voltage and will conduct as much current as required to hold its terminal voltage to that specified voltage. The power supply is designed to only supply a maximum amount of current that is within the safe operating capability of the shunt regulating device (commonly, by using a series resistor).

If the stabilizer must provide more power, the shunt regulator output is only used to provide the standard voltage reference for the electronic device, known as the voltage stabilizer. The voltage stabilizer is the electronic device, able to deliver much larger currents on demand.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dave, I googled "ford 3000 voltage stabilizer" and learned a lot reading a couple of places. Seems like cleaning connections might be a solution and certainly NOT hooking direct voltage to the gauge to test it is a must or it will kill the gauge.

·
Administrator
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, what I would like to know is how this one works and what voltage output, because I have a pile
of resistors that I salvaged from elevator tear outs that range from one to 5000 ohms, and one to two hundred watt.
If I measure the total resistance from the gauges, then calculate the wattage, using the appropriate resistance,
and wattage resistor in series to drop the voltage to the correct amount. Will it work. :?
By the way John, I cleaned all the electrical connections on the tractor when I was going through it,
and wound up replacing a burned out generator and voltage regulator. $$ :cry:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Dave, it's my understanding your voltage stabilizer works by the voltage off and on so quickly the average voltage supplied to the gauge is about 5 or 6 volts. I don't think using a resistor will drop the voltage for the gauge will work, but you could probably use a solid state voltage reg at about 5 volts and get by when you get used to what the normal gauge readings have become. Likely would just be best to bite the bullet and look for a replacement part if the current one doesn't show any output with a test light. Probably can't check it with a voltmeter even if its good because it turns on and off so fast if in fact it was still working.

·
Administrator
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks John, So then it does work like I was told. Basically a relay "chattering" to control the voltage. So, I would assume, when the generator output is lower at idle speed
it would cycle slower that at a higher generator output with the engine at working rpm. Then, no a resistor in series wouldn't work, or at least not well.
I can see why they used this type stabilizer with the output fluctuation of the genny from idle to higher rpm. New ones are only around $30, but I thought, since I had lots
of resistors, capacitors, and diodes laying around I might be able to build one that worked without spending the money. You're right about not being able to read the
output with a meter, a digital would most likely just blink, an analog you would probably see the needle deflecting but not get an accurate reading.
However, :idea: if I pulled out my old sillyoscope (oscilloscope) it might give me a good voltage reading, but since both gauges it feeds quit at the same time, I'm sure it died. ;)

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Interesting topic you have here BigDave. Maybe souNdguy will chime in and straighten us all out... keep us posted on what you find and what you ultimately do to this rig. My 4500 Lucas generator/voltage regulator charging system needs some attention also. It's hard to verify if it's keeping up or not because it has a 6D battery (huge) and I keep it on a float charger. I just don't wanna take the chance of killing a 6D...($$$$$$$) !!!!

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
it's just a heated bimetalic strip of metal that 'averages voltage'

it has contacts.. they open / close.

I suspect you could make a modern solid state replacement for one rather easilly.. though due to their very basic napture.. I'd pop one open in a hot second for a looksee. as with the lucas regs of the era.. contacts corode rather quickly.

·
Administrator
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks SouNdguy, :D makes sense. I'll pop it open this weekend and have a look.
My luck with the electrical system on this tractor so far, I'll find things burned in two. :roll:
I'll get some photos to post up when I get to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts