Antique Tractors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake last night of leaving the windows closed and the a/c running because of the outside temp. and humidity when I retired,
and with storms in the area, all three dogs were in the bedroom, guarding us from the thunder. :roll: I usually open our bedroom window even
when it's raining, as it's covered by the porch. As I left the house this morning for an early appointment I glanced over at the garden and saw this.

Didn't take much further investagation when I returned home to discover the culprit.

Incriminating Tracks:..................................The Entry:

The "Deervestation":

Looks like just one from the tracks, and the amount of damage. First one that I've known in the yard and that close to the house.
My bride has been saying we need a younger dog. My geriatric trio just don't hear or move like they used to.
My little guard cat keep the rodents (rabbits, moles, mice, and such) at bay, but she's not much help with bigger garden raiders.
It'll be back tonight most likely now that it knows there's sweet corn. I'll have to make sure it gets a proper greeting. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,583 Posts
Seen that same thing all too often here. It always gives me a sickening feeling. We try very hard to keep varmints out, but they cannot read and just don't pay attention like they should. Reminds me of some of the neighbors that I have. :eek: :shock: :roll:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
We have a couple of dogs that stay outside. This gives them critters something to think about.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Big Dave we had to take care of that several years back.
The deer, ***** and others with an electric fence.

·
Premium Member
1,970 Posts
Makes you feel sick when that happens. We went for several years and were lucky to get a few ears to eat. Hopefully he wont be back.

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far it hasn't been back.
soundguy said:
miht be time to eat some deer. :)
I've thought about making it freezer meat it it comes back and it's a buck.
I've got three does running around here with a one month to a one week old fawn tagging along behind them. I don't mind sharing my
hayfields with them, but not my garden. I like having wildlife around the place, as long as they stay in their place. Outside the yard fence.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It does give you a sick feeling. I hope you can keep the critters out.

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Sorry to see this Dave, it's an all too familiar sight to many of us. Hope that you take care of the culprit in one fashion or another - if it's like the deer out here which I'm sure it is... there's ten out there to the one that you see :eek: And that's with them being hunted...

·
Administrator
4,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Garden finally got dry enough and got my early corn picked yesterday. Hope it's not too tough, has needed picked for a week.
The deer got half of it. I usually get two bushels off it, and only got one.

·
Super Moderator
8,583 Posts
I disposed of a raiding varmint this morning. My early corn is in the "blister" stage. I have had something working on some of the ears for several days. i think it was checking how it was growing and was just "sampling" a few ears. I Set the live catch cage Saturday and yesterday had wild cat, but thismorning had a big ole fat raccoon. It will no longer be a problem. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts